Chapter 9: The Encounter

Chapter 9

The night was unbelievably cold. I had to wear a sweater then a jacket on top of it along with gloves and a scarf. Alex also piled on the clothes.

When we got to Old Beach Road, I got a bad feeling. A feeling of someone warning me to go back and stay there. Yet, I said nothing as we drove. I looked out the window. It was so dark. There was only you and the road. I turned to Alex who was staring out into the distance. She pulled up behind an abanded sign, that had graffi written everywhere, so no one would see the car. And that’s when I started freaking out.

“Alex, maybe we should come back in the morning.”

“In the morning, are you nuts? This farm is restricted. If someone found us out here, they’d kill us. It’s deserted. That’s why I said night. Besides might as well let the police handle the situation then.” She pulled out a big black bag. “Alright, here you go.” She handed me a flashlight. “You get flash light duty. And here’s a walkie talkie.”

“You think were splitting up? Are you mad? Who knows what’s out there.”

She put a box of matches in her jean pocket then grabbed a walkie talkie for herself.

“What are those for?” I asked worried.

“Check-check. Mine’s on.”

“Alex, I’m not going out there without you by my side at all times.” I crossed my arms.

“You can’t back out on me now.” She whispered angrily.

“Try me.” I whispered stubbornly.

“You promised!”

“Well . . .so?”

“So? You have too.”

I waited for an ‘okay Danny you win, lets go home.’ Though I know Alex is not the type of person to give up so easily.

Her firm expression turned into one of pure desperation. “I love him, Danny. I don’t know what I’m gonna do without him.”

The look she had on her face made me want to cry. She really did love him. She was really in love.

I sighed. “I know. Me too.” I turned on my walkie talkie and got out of the car.

Alex walked me to a ditch and shined the flash light on it. Skid marks could be seen along the side of it. “This is where they found his truck.” It scared me to be at the crime scene. This is where it all happened, where they took him, was all that was running though my head.

“Well, he has to be in the crops. If not there,” I swallowed, “in the woods.

Alex nodded. “I’ll take the woods.”

I looked at her. “Alex . . .”

“No!” She half-yelled, half-whispered. “I know you’re a wimp. I won’t make you go in there.”

Before I could protest. She zipped up her jacket and pulled the hood over her head, and was running through the crops that were taller than her by at least three feet. The scraping sound her body made gliding along the huge plants was slowly fading.

I was alone.

I stood frozen for a moment staring at my shoes, as if I could make them move just by looking at them.

I listened for something. Anything that sounded like people, but that’s the problem with being alone no one can here you. There was no one. Nothing. I swallowed hard. Lets get this over with.

I headed into the tall plants very slowly, quietly. Afraid of making noise. It was difficult to calm down when al you could do was shake. There was no one to talk to. No one for advice.