Chapter 28: Wendy

“Thank you girls so much.” The frail lady wrapped us together in a big hug then pulling away asked, “How were they?”

“Dolls.” I replied looking over at Millie pouring syrup on her pancakes and Ethan in his hulk pajamas, feet dangling off the side of the chair watching TV.

“Marvelous.” Her eyes twinkled, looking at them.

“How was your night out on the town?” I asked winking and the old women giggled.

“Romantic, just romantic. First we walked along the beach then Herald rented a yacht for a night where we ate dinner and,” She paused, “Breakfast.”

Wendy and I laughed then grabbed our bags and slowly strolled back to the front doors. The white house lit up with morning, turning the white walls to a sunny yellow.

Neither of us was excited about the awkward silence that followed on the walk back to my house.

Mrs. Coleman opened the door and the sun blazed through, but not for long would the sky turn grey like it always does.

“Beautiful morning, isn’t?” Asked Mrs. Coleman taking a wheezy breath.

I nodded stepping onto the front step and hoping down so that she was taller then me and Wendy followed.

“Bye, girls.” She waved and shut the door.

I turned to the yard where sprinklers were going off in every direction and neighbors were washing their cars.

“How come those kids live with their grandparents?” Asked Wendy as I trailed behind her down the driveway.

“Uh… the parents are a bit messed up.” I didn’t wish to go further with the story. A story that I only overheard at a party a few years back, remembering the haunting look on the sweet elderly lady’s face.

“Oh.” She said opening the miniature dollhouse gate surrounding the yard then let it slam on my legs as I came through.

“Wendy.” I yelped feeling a swelling bruise through my pajama bottoms.

“Opps… it slipped.” She said sarcastically.

“Wendy, you’re taking this too far.”

“Oh, I’m taking this too far? What about you? You never do anything wrong! It’s always my fault or Alex’s fault or… Carson’s fault.”

When I heard Carson’s name my heart felt as if it shriveled up to a pulp and I didn’t have enough air to speak.

“Don’t you see I’m trying to protect you, Wendy?” Wendy imitated my voice as well as she could. “Bull shit!” She whispered. “Give me a real answer.”

I took a step back up from the fiery doll scorching in front of me. “What are you protecting me from, huh? What?”

I swallowed. “Once you know, you won’t be. Not anymore.”

Her red-brown slender eyebrows glued together. “Just tell me, Danny. That’s all I’m asking.” She said becoming calmer, green eyes pleading for closure. “That’s all.”

I looked over at little kids running around in one yard. The mother had her dog on a leash looking suspiciously over at us.

I came so close to Wendy that our arms were touching.

“I’m being watched.” I said slowly unsmiling.

“Like… by your parents? Are they being overbearing again?” She said sympathy taking over her voice.

I gradually swung my head from side to side, my eyes growing big.

She hesitated. “Have you told the police?”

I grabbed her wrist and we started walking. “They can’t help me. This guy… he’s the one their after. The one taking all these missing kids. Carson.”

“Why is he after you?”

“He wants something I possess. I don’t know what it is, Wendy.” My lips formed a straight line.

“Why can’t the police help you, Danny? They can keep you safe.”

“If they can keep me safe. If they could find this guy. Why isn’t Carson with us, right now?” My heart was pumping, my step becoming faster.

She looked me directly in the eyes. “Who is it?”

I stopped and so did she. “You would tell someone and I could be in serious trouble.”

“No, I wouldn’t.” I looked at her seriously. “Okay, I might, but they can lend a hand to you, Danny. It’s their job.” She said quietly sounding unsure all of a sudden.

“You know that rose you held last night? The black one that’s in my bag right now? It’s real, Wendy. They’re from him. A signature for I was here.”

She breathed heavily, her breath like mist at her mouth.

“He’s dangerous.” I began walking again.

“How long?”

“How long what?” I turned to see Wendy standing still on the sidewalk.

“How long has this been going on?”

“Since the week Carson went missing.”

“And you never told me?” She asked looking hurt.

“I wanted to. But I wasn’t even sure, myself, what the hell was going on. Now I got it figured out. Now youknow.”

She started walking with me again and I could see my house as we turned the corner. In my pajamas, my nose was like an icicle and cold air blew through my baggy sweatshirt.

“I’m afraid he’s going to take you like he did Carson, now can you see that he won’t stop until he gets want he wants? Your involved now.”

“He can’t possibly know that I know about him.”

“Open your eyes, Wendy! He’s everywhere I go. At school, at my house, at other people’s houses.” I gestured back toward the Coleman’s house. “He knew Carson was close me. He will hurt the people I love, because it hurts me. Trust me, he knows all about you.”

“Your not alone on this anymore.”

“No, that’s where you’re wrong. I’m always gonna be alone.”

“Don’t do something stupid, Danny.” Her eyes begged. “Don’t sacrifice yourself.”

“How else can I save you?”

“You won’t be doing me any favors letting him kill you. You’re my best friend. I won’t lose you.”

Warm tears turned cold on my cheek as I felt her arms enfold around me. “I won’t lose you and your not going to lose me either.”