Chapter 24: Funeral

My brain was aching as I tried to process what I had just discovered.

I was right all along. It was Nick who had killed Diana and Kevin along with fifteen other innocent people.

Not only that, but he’s . . .not human?

If you’re not human then what are you?

I ran two red lights as I drove back home, my knuckles white as they held the steering wheel.

All I could think about was getting back to that book. The one that held the truth about Nicholas Knight. A book that should be full of lies.

Is he a Night Drifter? A creature so evil that the Devil, himself, banned Nick from Hell?

What did Ivy mean the others?

The others as in the motorcycle gang? His coven? How can he not control killing people? He’d have to be diagnosed a psychopath. A psychopath leading a cult of deadly creatures.

There were so many questions and yet the only person I could get answers from was Nick.

I swallowed, trying to come up with different ways of evacuating the shrinking town.

But there was only one way to save everyone and that was to get rid of the Knights.

*********

Night Drifters are not just one creature, I pondered for a moment coming to stand by my bedroom window. They could be any type of creature that’s ever been on a killing spree one too many times. When these heartless mythical beings die, they get sent to Hell and the Devil revives them into a night drifter. A curse to never uncover true happiness in an object they may by no means ever find. Which sounds completely insane, but it adds up in some ways.

All I have to do is convince Nick that what he’s looking for is not in Clementine. I just hope he doesn’t kill me first.

Which is why I have to take precautions. I just have to find out what creature Nick is.

As I flipped through the Greek book, I soon realized, there were so many different types of creatures out there he could be anything.

I narrowed it down to the most deadly of myths.

Lycans

In order to protect myself from a Lycan or Werewolf I’d have to carry silver bullets and being the lucky rich girl I am I know just where to get them.

I went across the hall into my parent’s room and retrieved a chain with two keys from my dad’s side table.

Then I went downstairs into the basement, walking past a kitchen, guest bedroom or Rita’s usual room and game room to see a black painted door. I unlocked it and gently pushed it open, flipping on a light switch.

All of my dad’s guns big and small, expensive to extremely expensive sat in cases everywhere. His little hunting obsession has finally come in handy.

I took the other key on the chain and opened the handgun case.

I took a shiny black pistol sitting in the velvety blue cloth and rested my pointer finger on the trigger, glancing around the room at boxes sitting on shelves full of bullets. I felt a jolt of uncertainty as I looked down at the gun in my hand.

Let’s hope Nick doesn’t give me any hassle, because I don’t know if I’ll be able to defend myself, I thought as I looked at the picture of my dad and a moose he shot.

Even if a Night Drifter has no problem with it.

*********

I felt a tremor go through me as I walked into the cold old-fashioned type room. My dad took my hand and led me to three open seats in the back next to a gentleman in a business suit.