Chapter 11: Ivy

Chapter 11

Guess. One of the many ridiculous priced stores in America. I stood looking at a maniquin wearing black-studded jeans, a purple sequined tube-top, a pair of matching high heels and a handbag with a chain hanging from the hem. It’s not that I’m picking on the clothing. I mean it’s a beautiful outfit, but let’s get real for that money I could go to Target and get something just like that that’s hundred or more cheaper. I’m wealthy, but still it’s only common sense.

Wendy tapped the glass with a newly painted pink fingernail. “Would you look at that outfit? It’s adorable!”

“I’m looking at it alright and it looks like a lot of money. Are you sure you want to look around in there? I don’t want you to get your heart set on something you can’t afford. Besides I thought we were looking for a dress for the dance?”

“We are, but there’s no point in not looking. Come on!”

I sigh as I followed her inside. Immediately a young woman maybe a couple years older than us welcomed us inside, two of the few customers they have looking around.

“Oh! Wow! Look!” Wendy’s eyes got as big as saucers as she ran toward a dress in the back. “It’s beautiful! It would match my new heels perfect and it’s the last one.” She felt around the collar for a price tag. “I can’t find a price.”

“Well, maybe it’s not meant to be.” I said trying to be a little persuasive. “Oh, hey, look across the way it’s Luis Linens a much more affordable dress shop.”

Wendy laughed. “Don’t be silly it says it’s half off. That almost never happens for a dress like this in Guess. I have to try it on!” She walked into a dressing room and locked the door.

Poor Wendy she could never afford this dress. Not even half off. She came out and twirled in the body mirror. “What do you think?” She asked. The tight, strapless dress was dark green that went down to her knees and had black, velvet roses that grew up from the bottom while a belt clung to her waist. It matched her red hair perfectly and hugged her body nicely. You would have thought she was a petite model.

“Wow, it looks great on you.”

“I knew it would fit. I have to get it! Too bad it doesn’t have a price.” She darted to a clerk at the cash register. Wendy’s face fell instantly as she made her way back to the dressing rooms.

“How much?”

“One-hundred twenty-five dollars plus tax.” She frowned down at herself.

“Well, there’s plenty of other fish in the sea.” I said as she got dressed.

“I don’t want any other fish. I want this fish!” She whined.

Hmm . . .well it did look good on her and it was the only dress she really liked all day. I suppose I could get it for her. “Listen Wendy, I-“ All of a sudden Ivy strutted in, nose held high, as she went through piles of clothes.

“Yeah?” Said Wendy coming out. She followed my eyes. “Speak of the devil.”

“Tell me about it.”

“I say we get the heck out of here and grab a bite to eat.”

“Agreed.”

She put it on the rack. “Maybe I can convince my mom to buy it for me.”

We were half way out the door when Ivy stopped in front of Wendy’s dress and picked it up.

“Is she touching my dress?” Asked Wendy sharply as she stormed back inside.