Chapter 2: Presence of a Monster

Chapter 2

I was running. Running as fast as I could. Running from what? Something. Something that wasn’t far behind me. I felt kind of absent minded. What was I doing here? It was the middle of the woods somewhere. At night. The only sound I could hear was my heart beating faster and faster in my ears. It was hard to breathe. It was hard to focus. Everything felt impossible. Soon my legs grew weak. My lungs felt as if they might explode. Someone seemed to be talking to me, but in my mind. The voice kept saying keep moving. You’ll have time to rest when you’re safe. Don’t give up.

I kept running. Kept going. I wasn’t safe. Not even if I stopped to catch my breath. My confidence broke into a million pieces when I tripped over a big oak tree root that had come through the ground. I stood back up, but it was too late. I felt the presence. The presence of a monster.

I wanted to cry for help, but I was so overwhelmed that it probably wouldn’t carry.

A snicker came from behind me. “Opps . . .trip, did we?”

I didn’t say anything. I just stood there. Hopeless

“It’s a shame and you almost got away too.”

His words trickled down my back like ice. Is this a sick joke, I thought?

I opened my eyes. But I wasn’t in the woods. Nor was anyone chasing me. I was in my bed, staring at the ceiling. I wiped my forehead that dripped with sweat. I sat up and looked at my alarm clock. It was only one o’clock in the morning. I layed back down and looked out the window. The moon shown brightly.

What an odd dream. Or rather nightmare. That pretty much came out of nowhere. It’s not like I’ve been watching scary movies lately or anything. I sighed. Just forget about it. I’m sure it’s not important. I closed my eyes. Not important at all.