~Chapter 29~

Beginne am Anfang

Sans looked Asgore uneasily. "Well, she's certainly still dead if that's what you mean. But some part of her still exists. At least her pain does... it's been a plague to the humans who've come down here."

His eyes widened slightly. "That damned brat..beast... of course she'd still haunt the Underground like the unsavory disea-"

"That's all well and good but we don't exactly has time to reminisce!" Rei cut him off. "Dash has collected Toriel and Frisk, she says she'll be here soon it seems. According to Frisk something definitely felt wrong. That original entrance must be where she escaped."

"Perfect! Your majesty, you should stay here and make sure the monsters stay safe." Undyne ordered. "We'll leave the barrier from here and work our way towards the entrance. Humans you'll need to lead us since we don't know much of anything about the surface."

Asgore scoffed. As he flexed a ginormous paw his crimson spear reappeared. "Captain, you forget your place. I will most certainly make a coward of myself staying here. I've already had my glory stolen."

"With all due respect sir, the underground can't lose a king. We can't-"

"You don't know where the entrance is Undyne. Nor do you know anything about Chara's home. I'll lead here."

Sans eyes widened. Stepping forward from the group. His steps seemed to carry more weight after the barrier broke. "Chara's home?"

The sound of hurried footsteps echoed in the halls. Collectively they turned to see as their missing numbers rejoined them. Papyrus and Toriel arrived atop what seemed to be a monstrous floating skull. Frisk was clinging to the back of Dash almost looking sick. As they came back into the room, Frisk stumbled from his perch, looking at Sans. "Sans! I'm so glad you're still here... without the other soul I'd thought..."

Sans kept his eyes on Asgore. His question lingered in the air. The king only smiled. "Sans is weak... but yes, his over indulgence in the souls hasn't killed him yet. Frustrating as it may be."

Asgore's eyes flickered up to Toriel. "I'm glad you were able to return as quickly as you have. I'm leading the charge. I strongly suspect we'll find our target nearest Chara's old village."

Toriel gasped quietly. Her scowl was telling against his smirk. You could almost hear him gloating despite the silence. Sans ignored the rivals, instead looking at his hands. As he flexed his fingers, it looked as though a faint copy of his limbs followed suit. His body buzzed with energy, but it felt as though he could shatter with the vibration.

Clenching a fist, he looked at Mettaton. "We can't all go. It's not safe. And if we fail... the Underground..." Sans trailed off. Shaking his head, he looked at Frisk and Toriel. "You need to stay here Toriel, and Frisk too. Tori you aren't much of a fighter anyway. Your defense is much stronger and that might just be what we need down here. And Frisk... we can't risk you getting killed. Not now."

Asgore snickered. "Oh, but there will be a time? How amusing..."

"Shut it!!" Sans voiced came out in a rough demand. "If it weren't for you we wouldn't be here."

Asgore went to argue but was silenced by Frisk's protest. "Sans, I can't stay here! I need to be there for her!" He begged.

Sans looked at him and smiled gently. Patting his head, he said "You will be. You'll be precisely where we need you. Trust me." The ominous tone of his words did nothing to quell the young child's fear, but the firm squeeze of Sans' hand seemed all Frisk needed. He nodded his head hesitantly.

From his pocket he pulled a phone, fidgeting with it. The contraption rattled loudly, beginning to morph. In seconds it looked to be a small clone of Mettaton's more simple form, still but familiar. Frisk thrust the box into Sans' hands. "Use this radio to keep in contact with us. It's like an earlier version of the phone Alphys gave us. But I can't miss a call, and neither can you. Keep us in the loop..."