Sixteen

Sam, Dean and Jenny drove down the road in silence, the only noise being the radio talking about strange weather.

"—When what started out as a severe weather front headed in from the Northwest. Expect heavy lightning and thunder, with sudden rainfall—"

Dean shut off the radio, sighing loudly. "Do you guys wanna say it or should I?"

"What?" Sam asked, turning to his brother.

"You can't save everybody, Sam." Jenny glanced to Sam in the rear view mirror, quiet.

"Yeah, right, so – so what, you feel better now or what?"

"No, not really. You?" Dean asked Jenny, who shook her not.

"Not one bit."

"Me neither." Sam grumbled, sinking into the giant dragon.

"You gotta understa—"

"It's just lately, I feel like I can't save anybody." Sam cut his brother off, most likely referring to the fact he had no idea how to save his own brother. And Jenny understood, in a way. She knew how to save Dean, but what would the price be?

✦✦✦

Jenny pushed around a few papers as she sat at the kitchen table of a home she, Sam and Dean were staying at. She stared at the picture of a sunken ship, frowning in concentration. "I swear I'm going to lose my mind if I can't find this damn ship." She grumbled to herself.

She turned to Sam, who was sitting on the couch, reading. Dean was in his phone, pacing back and forth. A few moments later, someone knocked on the front door, the trio glancing to one another as Dean walked over, opening it just a bit.

He then turned to Jenny and Sam, who frowned at him before Dean opened the door completely. Jenny's brows rose as Bela stood in the doorway, looking disgusted.

"Dear ... God." Bela grimaced, and Sam sighed in annoyance. "Are you actually squatting? Charming." She was silent for a moment. "So how'd things go last night with Peter?"

None of the Hunters responded, and Jenny turned back to the papers. "That well, huh?"

"If you say 'I told you so', I swear to God I'll start swinging." Dean threatened, and Jenny raised her hand up.

"I swing first."

"Look, I think the four of us should have a heart-to-heart." Jenny stood up from her seat, turning to the door.

"That's assuming that you have a heart." Dean scoffed.

"Dean, please... I'm sorry about what I said before, okay? I come bearing gifts." Bela smiled, the three Hunters looking at her suspiciously.

"Such as?" Sam asked, setting his book down.

"I've ID'd the ship." Bela stated as she raised her portfolio, unzipping it. She walked in without Dean offering, approaching the table Jenny sat at. Bela shoved Jenny's papers out of the way, dropping her own in the table.

"Please, come right on in." Jenny said sarcastically, and Bela rolled her eyes.

"Don't act like you don't want to hear about it." Jenny huffed, crossing her arms. "It's the Espírito Santo, a merchant sailing vessel, quite a colorful history. In 1859 a sailor was accused of treason. He was tried aboard ship in a kangaroo court and hanged. He was 37."

"Which would explain the 37 year cycle." Sam stated the obvious, walking over to the table. Dean joined.

"Aren't you a sharp tack?" Sam glared at Bela, who dismissed it quickly. "There's a photo of him somewhere ... here." Jenny snatched the picture from Bella's hands, Sam and Dean looking over her shoulders.