48: Bring You Down

Start from the beginning

"As usual, the wording is crucial," Shine said. "Perhaps a lot of time could have been saved if you just ask the Lamp how the gods thought Salem could be taught her lesson--but even then it probably would have played you false. You can't trust genies."

"Indeed...perhaps you're right," Ozpin said uneasily. "In any case, I gave up trying with questions like that. At the time, when Alicia walked this world, I didn't use the Relics for much. I relied on them later only out of desperation. So, her vision seemed even stranger at the time."

"And she told you something," Shine said. "Something you didn't want to hear."

Wally glanced at her.

"Yes," Ozpin said. "I've...been trying to tell myself that it didn't mean what it seemed to mean...but...well, let me start from the beginning..."

* * *

[Yes, we're getting a flashback episode, you're welcome.]

Ozma had been wandering his town, wondering where Salem was and what her next move would be...and how he could ever unite mankind.

The same thing over and over again that he always wondered when he was alone. 

This new body of his had finally lost its consciousness completely just a month or so ago, leaving him changed, but still very much the same.

He wandered out of the city, down the road, and as he was walking along, no Grimm in sight, he saw something--a flash...a swirl of light...in the air?

Rushing that direction, he was surprised to see a woman caught upside down in a tree by her very odd clothes, with her blonde hair tangled up in the branches.

A staff was lying on the ground near the tree, like it had been planted there by accident.

"Uh...excuse me?" Ozma said.

"Mmm? Oh, hello." The woman had a strange accent to her voice. She looked at him upside down. "You must be Ozma."

"What?" Ozma said. "How did you know my name?"

"You matched the image." The woman pointed outward--or for her just upward slightly. "I'd shake your hand and curtsy, but as you can see, I'm a bit hung up at the moment. Topsy turvy, it would be just my luck starting off here to end up in this fix, but how was I to know the door would just open sideways like that? I do declare, the Almighty likes to make a joke of my entrances every single time. Last time I landed in a lake, I swear--Are you not going to help me down? Just stand there gawking like some scarecrow?"

"Oh, um, of course." Ozma took her arm and pulled her out. She fell the rest of the way but then flipped somehow and landed on her feet with a roll.

Brushing herself off and smoothing down her very odd coat and under garments, she snapped her heels together. Then curtsied. "Well, it's not the most graceful of entrances, but here I am. The name is  Alicia Vundar."

"That isn't a very normal name." Ozma tilted his head. "Or a very normal entrance. Where are you from?"

"Here and there," Alica Vundar said, gesturing nonchalantly. She plucked up the staff, which was tipped with a snake head.

"That's...an odd symbol." Ozma looked. "Family crest?"

"You could say so, one of many." Alica also had a sort of headband on that had a snake mouth where the bow would usually be. "Means healing... So you're the poor sod with two souls. I must say...I almost expected you to look a bit more cockeyed."

"I... How did you know that?" Ozma looked around. "Did she send you?"

"No, no, don't be ridiculous," Alicia brushed it off. "What utter rubbish--as if that she-wolf would ever send help to you. No, no, I am from another Master," She pointed upwards. "And not a moment too soon. But let's stop just standing here. I know those monsters that you have all over this world will be at our throats soon enough. Isn't there somewhere we could have some tea and a chat?"