Chapter - 39 Giovanni

DANTE

I knew as soon as I entered the mansion that she was gone. The mansion seemed quieter, and the sky darker. I walked into the master bedroom, sighing as I saw the books she had left behind. A glass of wine was on the table, and a book with a bookmark in it was resting beside it. She didn't even take it.

I sat down on the bed, and that was when my eyes fell on the paper on the nightstand. I flicked it open.

Dear Dante,

Thank you for everything. I hope we meet again someday.

Teddy Baby will miss you.

But, Blue will miss you more.

. . .

LILY

Days went by, and I didn't speak to anyone. I wrote obsessively, almost painfully. Every word seemed to rip out of my chest.

The days I had spent with Dante had been pure bliss. He had provided a beautiful escape in his strong arms. I wished the mansion had never sold.

I sat down on my bed, eating slowly. The food that Elliot's men gave me was good, yet it was as if I was swallowing rocks.

A knock sounded on the door. I sighed, sitting up. My meal was already here; I didn't know who could be at the door now.

I opened it and froze.

Giovanni Valentino looked at me with his regular twisted smile. "Hello, Miss Jenkins."

"What-What are you doing here?" I tried to shut the door; I didn't trust this man one bit, but he easily slammed it open and stalked inside.

He looked around the room and grimaced. "Nothing in front of Dante's mansion, is it?"

I folded my arms against my chest, standing as close as I could to the open gate. "What are you doing here, Mr. Valentino? How did you find me?" I demanded.

He sat down on a chair, a knife twirling between his fingers. "Do you really think anyone enters my territory without me knowing?" He smiled. I shivered. "Elliot happens to be an old friend, but fear not, Elliot fell out with the Creeds a few years back." He leaned back in the chair. "So, Miss Jenkins. Will you start talking about what you did, or do you need motivation?"

I gulped at the threat in his voice. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Everyone knows," he said softly. "I know, Fabi knows, Dante knows."

I almost flinched at his name. Dante.

I let out a shaky breath. "It was an accident," I said.

"You were drunk," he said. "And you were driving. You ran over a very important person. And ever since you have been on the run."

I nodded.

He leaned forward, putting his elbows on his knees. "A responsible woman like you...I cannot imagine you drinking and driving."

"I am occasionally stupid."

"You won't get any argument from me," he said dryly. He ran his thumb along his lower lip, strands of his brown hair framing his face. "I know it is not the full truth," he said. "So I suggest you start talking."

"Why do you even want to know?"

"I have my reasons."

I gulped. "It doesn't matter what happened. It won't change the fact that the Creeds are out for my blood."

"It won't," he said. "Samuel Creed is out for blood, he won't stop till he gets some." He gave me a cruel smile. "I can, in fact, help him out."

"What purpose would that serve you?" I hoped he couldn't see the fear in my eyes.

He shrugged. "Amusement. But, if you do not wish to tell me, it is alright. But you will have to answer a different question."

I nodded. "Okay."

"What happened between my brother and you?" He asked.

"As everyone knows," I muttered. "I was his whore."

"I've seen him with whores," he drawled. "So that answer will not suffice."

"He offered me protection for a while, I desperately needed it. I came to like his presence. That is all."

"What about him?" He asked. "Did he come to like your presence?"

I'll miss you.

I'll be back tomorrow.

His last words to me. For him, it was a transaction that had been completed. He had given me protection, and I had allowed him to fuck me.

That was it.

"No," I said. "He did not."

He watched me. "This ship is headed to Australia, Elliot needs to show his face at the tournament," he said. "It will be in Sydney in a few weeks. Dante will be in Sydney in a few weeks too." He stood up, buttoning his suit jacket. "And so will be the Creeds." He smirked. "You will be safe on this ship, of course. And you will be safe with Dante. The Creeds won't stop hunting you. So..." He stepped closer, yet maintained his distance. "Decide which safety you want."

"Dante wouldn't want me."

He walked out of the door. "That is impossible."

I slammed the door shut, locking it, and finally, let myself breathe. I took deep breaths and lowered myself to the ground.

I love coming home to you.

. . .

The days went by. I kept my phone uncharged to stop myself from calling Dante. I wrote, watched the sea, and talked to a few people. I had not seen Elliot since he picked me up, and I had no complaints about it.

But before I knew it, we were there. At the port of Sydney. The sunlight was bright as I stood by the railing, looking around the beautiful place.

But, I didn't get off the ship.

I couldn't when the first thing I saw when I finally charged my phone was him standing beside a woman.

Businessman Dante Valentino found love

. . .

🦏

I can't sleep