Chapter - 15 Better words

. . .

Lily Jenkins

Leyla was sitting beside me. The driver was to drop us both.

"Why did you come to Italy?" She asked.

"To attend my father's funeral."

"You can say that you don't want to tell me, but do not lie to me," she said. "He never visited you in America. The inheritance could not be enough to lure you to Sicily, knowing how Mafia controls everything here. You could not be stupid enough to think your father's family would accept you. You seem smart, Lily."

I looked at her. She was trying to figure me out.

I lifted my shoulder in a gentle shrugger. "I am not."

She smiled. "Another lie." She looked down at her hands, at the giant ring on her finger. The car was dark, yet it shone beautifully. "I hope you are not falling for him."

"What-"

"For Dante," She said. "He is a good brother and as good as a mafia man can be, but he is without heart. Whatever you are here to do, Lily, do it and get out before the mafia swallows you whole."

"I am trying," I said. "I will be gone as soon as the mansion is sold. I do not feel anything for Dante."

She searched my eyes and then nodded, but she didn't look like she was convinced. I didn't have the strength to convince her.

. . .

Dante Valentino

Usually, I took no pleasure in torcher. It was just work - something necessary.

But Aldo had been a problem for quite a while.

I sat down on the chair in front of him. The basement of the arena was tiny with a small, dirty bulb hanging from the ceiling. I preferred the basement in my house, but since Lily I hesitated to take anyone there.

I had suppressed my rage at first - cutting off places which wouldn't let him bleed out, but then eventually my rage overpowered me and now he sat there, not breathing, without ears, lips, and arms.

Aldo was dead. As much as I had wanted to extend his torcher, the need to get to Blue after eliminating the threat to her life was too much. This seemed to be something...primal. I had felt protective over people before, but none of them had control on how I did things.

She made me act out.

I stood up from the creaking chair and climbed the staircase. I was still in my shorts and the blood which coated me was of too many men.

The music was dimmed. The cage was empty.

The men turned to me - looking at the blood on me, noticing how it had increased.

I put my hands in my pockets, and when I spoke my words were steel and true. "Lily Jenkins is mine. Anyone puts their hand on her or says a word I find disrespectful, they will face the justice I showed Aldo."

Their heads lowered but some stood, rigid.

Why are you protecting a bastard?

The question was there. It lingered in the air. It was a whisper in my ear. It wouldn't make sense to them why I had chosen her.

It barely made sense to me.

. . .

When I walked inside the house a few hours later, I smelled nothing like blood. The house was dipped in darkness, but she was awake.

I found her sitting under the staircase, a candle lit by her feet, and a book on her lap.

"Blue."

She looked at me. "Dante."

"What are you doing?"

"I couldn't sleep," she said. Her voice seemed to echo in the silent night. I didn't know a better melody. "What did you do to Aldo?"

"He was an unfit Underboss," I said. "And he disrespected you, even after seeing me with you."

She looked down at the book on her lap, her slim fingers drumming on it. "What is happening to the mansion?" She questioned.

"Not many buyers want to buy a mansion which previously belonged to a mafia man and the people in the family are hesitant."

"Because I am selling it?"

"Your biological father's family holds respect, Lily. It is earned by your father's brother."

She frowned. "He has a brother?"

I nodded, expending a hand towards her. "Let's go to the dining room, Blue. I'll tell you more."

She looked at my hand. For a moment, she hesitated, and then her slim hand was on mine. It felt fragile in my grip.

I lifted her and pressed a kiss to her palm. "I am sorry for what happened today," I said. "I failed at protecting you, which broke our terms. I hope you will forgive me, Blue."

She looked down at her feet and then back up to me. "Will it happen again? Will anyone from your Mafia hurt me again?"

"No," I said. "I swear it."

She nodded. "I...trust you."

I had never heard better words.

. . .

(2/5)