Chapter - 19 Niece

Dante Valentino

I laid her on my chest. We were in her room, which had once been just a guest room but now smelled like her.

She was quiet, her face hiding in the crook of my neck. I hadn't expected her to get this shy - but all Blue did was surprise me.

"Lily."

"Blue," she mumbled.

I smiled. "Blue. How do you feel?"

"I'm okay," she said. "You're good at...this."

I stroked her hair. "Was I too rough?"

"I would have told you if you were."

"Was there anything you didn't like?"

"I loved it all," she whispered, digging her head deeper into my neck.

I chuckled, closing my eyes. "Are you tired?"

"I want to sleep."

"Need anything else?"

"No," she mumbled. "Can you stay?"

"Yes." I twirled a strand of her hair around my finger. "I can stay, Blue."

. . .

When I woke up, she was tracing the cuts along my arm.

I opened my eyes. "How much did I sleep?" I asked, glancing outside. It was dark. I frowned.

She sat up. "Five hours," she said. "I thought you couldn't sleep that much?"

"So did I," I muttered, sitting up. This felt weird. Taking a fucking nap with her. What was wrong with me? I was to stay here till she fell asleep and then get out and try to find Samuel.

Now I had wasted hours.

I got out of bed. "I have to go do some work. I'll be back soon."

"Dante-"

I was out of the room before she could say a word. A list formed in my mind, consisting of too many things to do. Interrogate the assassin Creeds' had sent, try to find Samuel, look more into who would handle Sicily when I went back to Venice-

I sighed, shaking my head, and got into my car.

I didn't have time.

. . .

The day went by and no one could find Samuel. I had expected it. I knew the man. He was smart.

Yet he came to Italy - blinded by vengeance. I respected it, even though it was troublesome.

He could kill me.

But he wouldn't get his hands on Blue.

I knocked on the door.

He opened the door. He looked so much like his brother. At the age of forty-five, he looked as old as me.

The eyes patch on his one eye was grey, and one sleeve of his shirt hung loosely. His hair was dark with streaks of grey and his skin was littered with old tattoos.

His eyes were the same as hers. Lily's. "Dante." He nodded. "Come in."

I followed him into his cabin. It was a small thing. I looked at the wooden statues arranged on a large shelf, accompanied by some books which looked ancient. He motioned for me to sit on a chair, and sat down across from me.

"What's troubling you now?"

I had lied when I said I didn't know his location. I did. This was the first time I was coming here after meeting Lily.

"Your niece has pissed off some dangerous people," I said, pouring us both a drink that was set on the table. "One of them is roaming Sicily."

He paused. "My niece. Lily?"

I nodded. "Lily, yes."

He hummed, looking at another one of his shelves. I spotted her books almost instantly. "What is she doing in Sicily?"

"She pissed off the Creeds," I said. "She killed someone. It was more of an accident."

He took a sip of his drink. "Who is here to hunt her?"

"Samuel. They sent another but we caught him. Maybe there are more."

"Samuel can be here for you, too."

"I know," I said.

He sat back in his chair, taking in a deep breath. "You are treating her right?"

"She is comfortable and safe," I said.

"Doesn't answer my question."

"I am treating her as well as I can," I answered truthfully. "I killed Aldo."

"Good," he said.

I was surprised at that. "He was your nephew."

"I know what he did at whorehouses," he muttered, fingers caressing the scar peeking through the patch. "He was not honorable."

"Sicily has no Underboss now."

He paused and then smiled. "I am not going to become the Underboss, Dante."

"Consider it. My brothers and I may own it, but it's your home."

"There is nothing in this world that can push me out of isolation," he said softly. "I appreciate the offer. If you command me as my Capo, I will take it. But as a friend, I ask you to not do this."

I sighed, gulping down the drink. "I fucking despise you."

He chuckled. "You will find someone worthy."

I didn't fucking think so.

. . .