Chapter - 29 Gone by then

Dante Valentino

I still didn't know why I had offered her protection and asked nothing in return. And now, I couldn't give a fuck. I had trusted my gut and now she was pressed to my chest in a bathtub, naked and mine.

If there was a heaven for a man like me, this was it.

She twisted in my arms, looking up at me. "Dante."

"Hmm?" I tugged at her bottom lip.

"Didn't you hear the knock?" She tilted her head. "Someone is at the door."

My hand froze. I hadn't heard the knock.

We got out of the bath. She covered herself with a robe while I slipped on a dark t-shirt and my boxing shorts.

I opened the door.

"Did you hear?" He asked instantly. "They sent the fucking invites."

I frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"Dante?"

We both looked at Blue, who was now wearing another one of her loose dressed, this one was dark green, as she descended the staircase.

Luca's eyebrows lifted. "She looks familiar."

I looked at him. "You read fantasy?"

"Well-" He shook his head. "We need to discuss this."

"Tomorrow."

"I am not your consigliere anymore," he said.

Little fucker. Like he would have become the boss if we didn't push him.

Blue stood beside me, looking up at Luca.

"This is Luca," I said. "He is Camorra's Capo."

"Oh-" she knew about him. I had told her. "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Severo."

He nodded. "Likewise Miss Jenkins."

"Come in," I said. "We'll discuss this and then I will kick you out."

. . .

"This is bullshit."

He shrugged. "This is the bullshit you six started."

"I didn't think we'd continue this."

"Neither did I," he said. "I say we send some fighters, even if we don't physically join."

Not joining would not send the right message. The tournament was the best place to win new clients, or steal clients.

"So Camorra is going to send the fighters?"

"Cassian is going, along with a few others. I may go for the final matches."

Cassian was a child, but he knew how to fight.

I nodded. "I'll discuss this with my brothers."

He nodded and exited my office. I heard him say goodbye to Blue who wished him a good night. Soon, the door creaked open and she peeked inside.

"Can I ask why he was here?"

"Business," I said.

She hid her disappointment with a smile. "Okay. The food should be here soon."

I curled my two fingers, motioning her to come closer. She padded inside, her feet bare on the dark carpet.

I set her on the edge of the table, putting my hands on her thighs and rubbing her soft skin.

"Do you really want to know?"

"If you don't mind telling me - yes." She looked hopeful. She wore her emotions on her sleeve. It made me want to protect her fiercely.

"Give me a kiss."

She pressed her lips on my cheek. I chuckled.

"That wasn't a kiss."

"I know English isn't your first language, but that is a kiss."

I grabbed her neck, squeezing hard. She gasped, mouth opening. I devoured her lips till she was whimpering in my mouth.

"This," I muttered. "is a kiss, Lily."

"Blue," she whispered.

I smiled. "Blue." I sat her down on my lap. "The Creeds sent an invitation to the annual tournament we used to have," I said. "We haven't had it for two years so them organizing it now...it's suspicious."

Her eyes lowered. "Creeds?"

"Si."

"What kind of tournament?"

"Cage fighting," I said. "People bet on fighters. The underworld of the whole world gathers. It's just about forming connections."

She looked up, eyes wide. "That sounds dangerous."

"Spectators die more than the fighters," I admitted. I had killed some.

"Where is it happening?"

"This year it's in Australia."

"And...they'll be there? The Creeds?"

I nodded.

"Are you going?"

I shrugged. "Maybe. Probably not. I'll send some fighters."

"Do you want to go?"

"My brothers can go."

"That's not an answer."

I paused. "I think I do," I said.

"Then you should go."

I hummed. "It's in two months."

"I'll be gone by then."

I'll be gone by then.

Those words echoed in my mind for far too long.

. . .