47: What Was Right is Wrong

Start from the beginning

Winter made no answer, or she didn't even hear it. She just fell over.

Her hearing went in and out for a few minutes, but she thought she head them talking.

"...I knew...magic... It's too draining..." That was Shine's voice.

"I told you, too stubborn..." Qrow's.

Then some grainy sounding yelling, probably from the huntresses.

She thought someone was moving her off the sand, but then everything went entirely black.

* * *

Shine really didn't need Winter's medical crisis on top of Wally's and everything else, but, to Qrow's grudging respect, she never said a word of complaint about herself, except that Winter never listened to her, and that was his own thoughts too.

She did, however, have some sharp words for him when they had gotten Winter back to the school (in the hopes that less sun and heat would help improve her condition).

The medics in the Happy Huntresses tried to help, but Winter wasn't the only one who'd collapsed; the heat had gotten to a lot of people, and they were shorter on resources.

Vacuo, as Qrow pointed out, didn't coddle people. Not being able to take the heat was something they thought was hilarious for the most part.

In fact some jerks from the city were watching people get attended to and making fun of them.

That frosted Shine so much that she went up to some of them before Qrow could stop her.

"If you can't be helpful, clear out," she said, like an angry mom. 

"What you gonna do about it, lady?" one snapped at her.

"We're just having a bit of fun," another said. 

"I don't have time for a long explanation of your behavior," Shine said crisply. "I've got a crisis to deal with right now, and you pathetic excuses for huntsmen, or whatever you're supposed to be instead, are doing nothing to help it. As I understand it, the law of this kingdom is if you're tough, you're welcome. Any of you care to take me on right now and see if you're tough enough to stand around here and waste our time?"

"Are you crazy, b----?" one said incredulously.

"Grimm are around," Shine said. "Just saying."

"Look, you--" began one.

As if on cue, a Grimm came tearing down the street, where it had evaded the Huntresses by being faster than the other ones.

Shine rolled her eyes.

"Excuse me," she said, then turned to the Grimm. "Hello?"

The Grimm slowed and looked at her.

"Yeah, you." Shine pulled out her sword. "Come here."

The Grimm stared at her and then started to back up.

"Scared?" Shine said. "Yeah, well, so is everyone."

The Grimm bared its teeth at her and then lunged for one of the other people instead.

Shine threw her sword like a spear at it and pinned it to the ground. It dissolved.

The sword reappeared in her hands.

She wiped her forehead. "I'm really starting to hate these things."

The citizens looked at her, then at each other.

"You know, we should check the perimeter," one said.

"Yeah, yeah, who has time for this anyway?" the others agree.