46: Innocence is Gone

Start from the beginning

"It's Lieutenant," she cut him off.

Silence.

"Lieutenant then," Ironwood amended grimly. "I don't know what Likstar told you she saw, but Salem and Cinder have the Relics, and they're coming here. The kingdom has to prepare for an attack--I suppose our army is decimated, but Vacuo has some sort of organized defense, I assume."

"Yes, we're well aware of this," Winter said. "We're doing our best to set things up, I assure you, but your presence here is helping nothing. If that's all you wanted to tell me, I already knew."

"There's more," Ironwood said. "The Summer Maiden, have you secured her yet?"

"Secured her?" Winter said.

"Theo's always been tight lipped about where exactly she is," Ironwood's said. "I wouldn't trust him. He's never liked us and never been that much of a team player. Whatever Qrow says."

Winter was mad now.

"Perhaps this escaped your attention," she said crisply, "but you are no longer in charge. I have no idea who will end up being the leader of what is left of Atlas, but it sure as h--- will not be you."

Jacques was stunned that she used language like that.

"As for us, we have bigger things to worry about right now," Winter said. "We're on thin ice with Headmaster Theodore, and if you say anything to make that worse, I doubt I'll be able to prevent your immediate execution. The people are angry and looking for someone to blame. I've had demands to turn you over to them already."

This was true...another lovely task of her day.

"And to resign myself," she added. "Which I might consider doing if there was anyone to replace me, but there isn't."

"Where's Qrow?" Ironwood cut in. "He's supposed to know about the Relics and Maidens. I don't know what he knows now--I think he held off on some details."

Sore point right there.

"Qrow is not interested currenlty in collaborating further," Winter said. "He's handling the Grimm problem with Robyn."

Ironwood gave her a long look.

"I'm sure you must think this whole thing has proven me wrong, Winter," he said. "That it makes you right. But you'll see that hiding in Vacuo is no solution. They won't tolerate Atlas here--it would have been better to take our chances. Salem will come for you. They won't help you."

Since this was already pretty much the situation, that stung even more, but Winter would not flinch in front of him.

"We'll just have to do the best we can with what's left of Atlas," she said tightly. "If you'll excuse me, I have a kingdom to look after."

"Where's Theo? Why hasn't he come to talk to me?" Ironwood called as she was leaving. "Even if we weren't on the best of terms, this is just irresponsible. Doesn't he care about the Relics?"

Winter made no answer. What was there to say anyway? If she admitted how little Theo was cooperating with them, he'd only have more to criticize. She left, still in a temper.

* * *

"Feeling any better yet?" Shine asked Wally. They were sitting in the shade of one tent, trying to beat the worst of the heat. It was about the middle of the day.

"Not much." Wally was still out of it. "I mean, eating and drinking helped a little, but it's like sandpaper every time I hear those Grimm." He rubbed his chest. "I don't get it--how did drawing a line in the freaking sand, literally, make me so tired?"