Chapter Twenty-Four: Tremaine Aldon Neverson

KAKUYA POV

DeVante and I didn't get back together, which made him feel some type of way. I've been co-parenting Kasem with Khalil. After Jodeci released their third studio album The Show, The After Party, The Hotel on July 18, 1995, not only did Jodeci part ways, but so did me and DeVante. Two years later, I became a journalist and moved back to Barbados.

I never forgot about DeVante, he forgot about me. He never really accepted the fact that Kasem was made with another man, but like I said, if he did what he was supposed to do, we'd have a ton of babies running around! Through the years, we lost a lot of people: 2Pac, Biggie, Big L, Big Pun, Aaliyah, Left Eye, Gerald Levert, Tony Thompson,Static Major, etc. The list goes on and on. Dalvin's doing great, K-Ci and JoJo had mad alcohol issues, and DeVante's been in and out of jail. The year is 2009! And believe me when I say a LOT has changed. After 12 years in Barbados, I moved back to the U.S., settling in Petersburg, Virginia. Kasem is 15 years old and looks just like me.

I've made some really good friends, especially April Tucker. We met in the grocery store and we've been close ever since. She has three kids: Forrest, who just turned 18, and Tremaine, known professionally as Trey Songz. He's 24 now. When I have to work, April is more than happy to watch Kasem. I've never met Trey, that is until today....

April held a celebration party for Trey's album Ready. It reached number 2 on the Billboard 200. Kasem and I went. Since he wasn't there, I took a dip in the pool while Kasem and Forrest ate some food.

An hour later, I was still in the pool (I'm very active). I was getting out the pool wiping my eyes and reaching for a towel. I got one and began wiping my face. When I looked up, I saw a young, muscular, sexy milk chocolate brotha smiling at me!

Me: Tremaine, is it?

Trey: Yes ma'am.

I was shivering from the water and he helped me up.

Me: Nice to meet you.

Trey: Likewise. That girl with the curly hair Forrest is always hanging with, is she your sister?

Me: No. She's my daughter.

Trey: What? Your daughter!? Aren't you a little young to be having kids?

Me: I appreciate that. I'm 39.

Trey: 39? I'm 24.

Me: Oh yeah, I heard about you. I was waiting on you at the door. It's a hot day, so a dip in the pool would suffice.

Trey: Alright then.

He followed me inside and I felt him staring at my booty. I'm a bit older and wiser, so I know how these young guys are. He's the eldest son of my best friend, so I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

April: Tremaine, are you bothering Kakuya?

Trey: Ka-who?

Me: That's my name. Kakuya Mandrake.

Trey: Beautiful name for a flawlessly beautiful woman!

I blushed, turned my head away and laughed. This boy!

Forrest: Leave her alone! She don't want you....

Trey: How you know, ole Mint Condition looking ass nigga.

April: Watch your mouth! Kakuya, grab your plate and come in the kitchen with me, let's catch up on our gossip.

Me: Nice to see you, Trey. Keep up the good work!

Trey: I'll see you around, beautiful.

He winked at me as April took my hand and led me in the living room. I better stay away from Trey. I can do that.

....Or can I?