Chapitre 14

When Jae-cheon barged in the King's room, the royal doctor was knelt by the Queen's body, examining it with extreme caution. The King and his bodyguard were waiting nearby.

- I was on my way to see you when I heard the Queen's death, he said. What happened ?

The doctor turned to them :
- The tips of some of her fingers are swollen and black. I can confirm that she was poisoned, he said. Then, pointing to the package on the floor, he added :
- You should burn this book right away.
- She was supposed to give it to me. But she sacrificed herself and saved my life, said the King in a soft voice.
- How did she get it ? Asked Dong-joo.
- She didn't want to accuse her family directly so she told me she read these poems as a child and borrowed them from her aunt. But there's only two copies of this book in Joseon and one is in my private library.
Jae-cheon went pale.
- Your Majesty ! He said. If Lady Jeong is behind this, Yi-seo is in grave danger.
- What ?
- She never went home after meeting with you two nights ago. If Lord Park found out about ...

He didn't go on but the King understood at once what he meant. Rage instantly overwhelmed every part of his body.

- Don't worry. Lord Park's residence is already surrounded by the palace guards. I'm going to find your daughter and bring her back to you. And I'll take care of Lord Park and his wife. If they harmed her in the slightest way, I'll shred them to pieces.
- Kim Dong-joo , he added. Take the book, and be careful with it.

The King rushed outside, followed by his bodyguard. Soon after, they were standing in front of the Park residence. Seok-jo informed them that the Left State Councilor had thrown a tantrum when he'd been told he couldn't leave his house, but otherwise, nothing had happened.
Jin entered the courtyard. Park Chi-gook went to meet him, calm and composed.

- What is all this about, your Majesty ? He asked.

Ignoring him, the King ordered that Lady Jeong and every single person in the house should be brought before him. When it was done, he faced Lord Park :

- You and your wife are under arrest, for plotting to kill me. Now tell me where Bang Yi-seo is.
- Why do you think I know about Bang Yi-seo's whereabouts ? Shouldn't you ask her father ? Doesn't he know where is own daughter is ?

Jin stared at him, fuming.

- If you don't answer me at once, I swear I'll drag you to the palace jail and torture you myself until you tell me what I want to know.
- I'm sorry Bang Jae-cheon's daughter is missing but I have nothing to do with it. That being said, my men told me they've witnessed something unusual in the forest while running errands for me. They saw a woman being dragged into a remote house in the middle of the woods. She's probably been abducted to be ransomed. As it was none of their business, they didn't do anything about it. But you should go and check. Even if she's not Bang Yi-seo, this young lady will be glad to be rescued, for sure.

He called for one of his men.

- This man can take you there.

Jin looked at Lord Park then smiled.

- Min Seok-jo ! The king said. I want you to go there with twenty men. Kill everyone who resist and if you find a lady there, bring her back.
- Yes, your Majesty, the young man said, before immediately gathering the most skilled swordsmen and going on his way.
- I thought you'd want to go there yourself, your Majesty, Lord Park said while trying to conceal his surprise. You seem really concerned about Bang Yi-seo's fate.
- I am. But I don't think she's in the forest. It's most probably an ambush. A last pathetic attempt to murder me. As for Bang Yi-seo, I think she was brought here after being abducted but your house has been watched for the last two days, so you couldn't take her somewhere else.
- Your Majesty, this is completely absurd. The guards have already searched my house and gathered everyone they found.
- Lady Jeong ! Jin said. Why don't you show me this secret room of yours or should I find it myself ?