Chapitre 7

Yi-seo stepped forward with determination, clutching several papers against her chest.
The guards at the palace gates blocked her way with their spears.

- Who are you and what do you want ?
- I'm Bang Yi-seo, Bang Jae-cheon's daughter. My father has left some important documents at home and asked me to bring them to him.
She showed the pass her father had provided her with.
- You may go through.

She entered the large court yard and headed to her father's office. She'd come here once and knew where it was. The palace was a wonderful place but she had no time to marvel at the beautiful and impressive buildings.

It'd taken her and Seol-geum three days to visit the capital apothecaries. Fortunately, they'd got help from Kim Ji-woon, the dispensary physician, who knew all of them and had made a list of the ones which were more likely to sell the plants they were looking for.
The two women eventually found out that several herbs, used to prepare a certain antidote, had been purchased some weeks ago in different places, and from this, the healer had determined the poison used to harm the King. With this information, Yi-seo's father would be able to go to the Royal Investigation Bureau and tell them what they should look for. They were running out of time. Two days ago, the King had spent the night burning with fever. It was the longest fit he has had so far. What would happen the next time ?

She was so deeply in her thoughts that she only noticed that the queen was coming in her direction when they were just a few paces apart. She bowed and greeted her.

- Your Majesty !
- Bang Yi-seo ! It's been a long time since we last saw each other. I remember coming to your house with my aunt when we were children. It was a few days before your mother fell ill. You and your father left so quickly after her funerals that I never had the chance to tell you how sorry I was for your family. I liked your mother very much. She was a warm-hearted woman.
- Thank you for your kind words, your Majesty. I'm honored that you remember me or my mother.
- It's only natural as we used to get along well, the Queen replied with a smile. Are you here to see your father ?
- Yes.
- You should get going then. But come back to see me, I'd really like that.
- I will, your Majesty.

The queen resumed her walking, followed by her court ladies. As they were passing by, Yi-seo gasped in surprise. One of them bore a striking resemblance to Seol-geum. Could she be her younger sister ? She couldn't be sure as she'd never met her and it was hard to believe that Lord Park would be bold enough to let a poisoner enter the palace. But if this woman was indeed her friend's sister, it was an opportunity to gather evidence as she probably kept the poison ingredients in her room. Yi-seo had to tell her father about this too.

After his daughter had told him everything she'd learnt, Lord Bang took her with him to see Min Seok-jo, the head of the Royal Investigation Bureau. He was a young trustworthy man and after hearing them thoroughly, he launched an investigation right away. As they were headed back to the palace's gates, Lord Bang stopped in a place where no one could hear them.

- Yi-seo, you've probably saved the King's live. I have no doubt that we'll be able to prove that the Queen's tea is poisoned. It won't be enough to accuse her though.
- What about the court lady ? I'm sure you'll find some evidence in her room.
- It's likely that she won't confess, or she'll say that she got her orders from whoever Lord Park asked her to frame. As for the Queen, she'll deny she knew anything about this. But, at least, the King will be all right once he stops drinking this tea and it's the more important thing.
- I can't believe Lord Park will get away with it, even after trying to get the king killed.
- He's a cunning dangerous man. That's why I don't want you to get involved in the palace affairs any more. You've done enough. Stay away from Park Chi-gook 's business. I've already lost your mother, I don't want to lose you too.
- Don't worry , Father. You won't lose me. I'm tougher than you think.
- I can see that and I'm very proud of you. But that doesn't mean you should take unnecessary risks.  Go back home now.