Chapitre 8

The ministers left the court assembly, astonished by why they'd just learned and discussing the matter between themselves. During the audience, the King had explained how he'd barely escaped death thanks to Bang Jae-cheon and Min Seok-jo. The head of the Royal Investigation Bureau had given all the details about the affair, but unfortunately, he'd also come with bad news : the court lady he'd arrested had been found dead in her cell in the morning, with her throat slashed. During her interrogation, she'd denied the herbs belonged to her and sworn she didn't know about the poison or the antidote found in the queen's daily tonic. And nothing proved that the Queen knew about it either. Nevertheless, someone had tried to kill the King, so Seok-Jo was asked to go on with his investigation.

Lord Park lingered in the hall. When there were only the two of them left, the King asked in a cold tone :

- Left State Councilor Park, is there something you want to tell me ?
- I just wanted to tell you I was glad that you discovered this plot in time and I assure you that I had no part in it. But I'm curious. May I ask how Bang Jae-cheon and Min Seok-jo thought about searching the court ladies' quarters? They didn't say ...
- Someone informed them about one of the court ladies being a poisoner. Thanks to that, they were able to lead the investigation in the good direction.
- And did they say who their informer was ?
- I didn't ask, but I owe him my life and this person should be rewarded handsomely.
- You're right, your Majesty. And I'd really like to thank him personally. Had anything happened to you, and without an heir, the court would have sunk into chaos. As it's been said, there's no evidence that the queen had a part in all this. So please, your Majesty, don't doubt her and don't forget that the only way to secure peace and order in the country is to have a son, as soon as possible.
- There's no evidence that the queen is innocent either, so I'd better not visit her for the time being. Let's wait until the end of the investigation.
- Then I hope it'll end soon, Lord Park replied.
The King smiled.
- I also hope that we'll soon find out who was behind this affair, so he can be punished accordingly to his crime. You may go now, Left State Councilor Park.
Lord Park bowed and left. He headed to his residence, fuming.
" Bang Jae-cheon ... Why are you always standing in my way ? Didn't you learn your lesson ? Should I teach you another one ?" He thought. "Just wait and see ... And I'll also find the person who helped you and crush you both under my boot. "

                       * * * * * * * * *

Dong-joo knocked again, louder. Finally, the gates opened and a servant looked at him harshly.
- What do you want at this late hour ? Everybody's sleeping. Come back tomorrow.
- Wake Lord Bang up at once, the King is here and wants to see him immediately, the bodyguard replied.
Jin, who's been waiting in the shadow of the gate, stepped forward.
The servant almost fell back in surprise.
- Please, come in ! I'll get Lord Bang right away.
Jae-cheon rushed to welcome the King and showed him to his study wondering what he was doing at his house and why he hadn't talked to him at the palace.
- What brings you here at this hour, your Majesty ? he asked. Did something happen ?
- Don't worry, nothing happened. I wanted to thank you for what you did for me and speak to you about a certain matter.
- You don't have to thank me, your Majesty. I only did my duty. And I got help.
- I know the important part your daughter played in this and I'm very grateful to both of you. But, for her own sake, her name mustn't be mentioned in any report or conversation regarding this affair. You and Min Seok-jo will take all the credit for saving my life. If Park Chi-gook finds out about your daughter, she'll be in danger.
- I totally agree, your Majesty. We both know he's behind all this and he's probably already planning his next move. Even if the poisoner got killed, he won't stop so easily. You should be careful too.
- I will. And the next time Lord Park tries something, I'll make sure we get enough evidence to take him down.

They left the study and were crossing the court yard when Yi-seo ran to them, followed by another woman. She bowed.

- Your Majesty ! Please, allow me to ask you a favor.
- Lady Yi-seo ! The king answered. You can ask whatever you want, I'll gladly grant it as a token of my gratitude.
- This is my friend Seol-geum. We met when my father and I lived in Chungcheong Province. And it happens that the court lady who poisoned you is her sister. I know that she's been killed. Could you please allow my friend to take her body back to their village to bury her ?
- Your Majesty ! The healer said, getting on her knees and keeping her head down. I'm sorry and ashamed of what my sister did. It's all my fault, I should have raised her better. Now that she's paid for her crimes, I beg you to let me recover her body.
Jin remembered the healer. She had helped Yi-seo heal him when he was wounded. She was a decent woman, and he had no reason to blame her.

- Come to the palace tomorrow, he said. I'll give orders so you can take your sister's body away.
- Thank you, your Majesty, Seol-geum said.
- Thank you, your Majesty, Yi-seo added.

" Yi-seo ! You're so kind and selfless" thought the king . "You could have asked anything for yourself, but you chose to help your friend... Everything you do makes me love you more".
He wanted to talk to her but he had no reason to ask to speak to her privately. Her father didn't know what they knew each other and had met in Chungcheong Province. Jin hadn't seen the young woman for several months, but now that she was in front of him, he just wanted to meet her again soon. But he had to be patient for the time being, so he just smiled to her and left.

                         * * * * * * * * *

When Yi-seo and Seol-geum went to the palace the next day, Seok-jo led them to a small room where the corpses of the people who had been recently executed where laid on the ground, simply covered with straw mats. The air was foul and buzzing with flies. It took Yi-seo all her courage to not run out of this hellish place. Seok-jo lifted one of the straw mats, revealing the chalky face of a woman.
Seol-geum looked at the corpse and froze. Seeing her expression, Yi-seo seized her hand and squeezed it gently, thinking that her friend was shocked by the grisly sight of her dead sister.

- I'm so sorry, she said.
- She's not my sister, the healer declared.
Yi-seo reluctantly gazed at the corpse and backed away, horrified. She turned toward Seok-jo :
- It's not the woman I saw with the Queen, she said. What have I done ? I never met Seol-geum's sister and I didn't want to accuse an innocent person. So I just told you that one of the court ladies could be a poisoner and didn't give you a specific description. This poor woman was arrested and killed because of me ...
- It's not your fault. You couldn't guess that she'd been framed. That's not your job, that's mine, and I let a murderer go. Wait for me in my office, I'll need your help to draw her portrait. Before that, I must go warn the King.

* * * * * * * * *

Lady Jeon moved the screen which spanned the back of her room. She then slid a movable part of the wall which opened on another room, simply but nicely furnished.
Deok-geum stepped in after her, followed by a servant wearing a tray covered with food.

- You'll have to stay here for a while, Lady Jeon said.
- Yes mistress.
- Did you take care of the court lady before leaving the palace ?
- Yes. She had no idea that I was the one who framed her so she didn't say anything about me when they interrogated her. When I got to the prison to kill her, she thought I'd came to help her.
- That's perfect, Lady Jeon replied before handing a book to Deok-geum.
- You know what to do with this, right ? When you've finished, you'll have to leave and never come back. I'll give you enough money so you can live a comfortable life in a remote province. Nobody will ever find you. I'll miss you though. During all these years, you've been a loyal servant.
- I don't want to leave you, mistress, Deok-geum replied. Let me stay by your side.
Lady Jeon looked at her with a tender smile.
- When I'll use this book, Seok-jo will know that you're alive and send all his mapower to find you, and you'll be executed. I don't want this to happen. I've grown attached to you over the years. And your skills have been very useful, but I won't need them anymore. Tomorrow, my husband will go to see Prince Seong. And when he'll come back with him, the king will be dead and the power will be in my husband's hands.