Chapitre 9

Several days passed before Seok-jo showed up at the Bang's residence one day, after sunset, to inform Yi-seo and Seol-geum that they'd been summoned to the palace. It had rained all day and the air was hot and moist as they were hurrying along the capital's empty streets, trying their best to keep up with Seok-jo's fast pace. Dong-joo was waiting for them at the gates.

- Lady Yi-seo, please come with me ! Min Seok-jo will take your friend to the prison.
- Can't I go with them ? Yi-seo asked.
- This is the King's order. Follow me.

Before the young woman could reply, the bodyguard turned around and started to move away.

- I'll see you later, Seol-geum.
The healer nodded and Yi-seo ran after Dong-joo. Seol-geum then turned toward Seok-jo.
- Let's go, she said.

All the way to the palace, she'd borne a heavy heart. Her sister had been arrested while trying to board a boat heading to Pyeongan Province and she'd been asked to come and confirm her identity. That meant a death sentence for her sister, but she had no choice. Deok-geum had to take responsibility for what she's done, and that was the worse crime one could ever commit. Seol-geum only hoped she could convince her sister to confess everything so all the persons involved would be punished. When they arrived at the prison, the healer's heart sank. Her sister's face was bruised and her upper lip was cut and swollen, but there was a fierce and defiant look in her eyes.

- Sister ! Deok-geum said. I didn't know you were in Hanyang. Now I understand how they knew what I looked like. You helped them arrest me.
- You know I had no choice. What you did is high treason. You should repent and tell everything you know, so you can leave this world in peace.
- I have nothing to say.
Seol-geum grabbed her sister's hand through the cell bars.
- I'm so sorry Deok-geum ! She said. I failed you as a sister, I should have raised you better when our parents died. You wouldn't have chosen such a dreadful path.
- I'm glad I've chosen this path. During all these years, I've lived a pleasant life, while you were wasting your time healing all these peasants for a handful of rice.
- That's why the old healer shared her knowledge with us before she died, so we could take after her and help these people who already have a hard life. Not to harm or kill. Ain't you ashamed ? Do you even know how many people you've killed with your poisons ?
- I don't remember, and I don't care. I helped my masters whenever they needed me and they've always been grateful. So don't expect me to betray them. You should leave now, I have nothing more to tell you.

Seol-geum realized it was useless to hope that her sister would change her mind and that she had lost her a long time ago. She sighed.

- Good bye then, she said. I love you, my little sister. I'm really sorry I couldn't do more for you.

She turned around and left the prison, feeling sad and wishing she'd never met her sister again.
Seok-Jo gazed harshly at the prisoner.

- You should follow your sister's advice. Tomorrow, you'll be interrogated again and if you don't confess, we'll have to use torture.
- Do as you wish, I don't care.
The young man turned toward the guard.
- Stay here until tomorrow morning, I'll come to take her myself. No one is allowed to talk to her.
He also gave instructions to the other guards then headed to the King's cabinet.

While Seok-jo and Seol-geum were headed to the prison, Yi-seo followed Dong-joo through the palace premises. They reached a large pond and crossed it. Beyond it, stretched a garden with a grove of cherry trees in full bloom. It looked beautiful under the moonlight.

- His Majesty is waiting for you there, the bodyguard said.

Yi-Seo stepped into the grove. The ground was covered with white petals and the subtle perfume of the flowers was filing the air. Jin welcomed her with a large smile. He stepped forward and took the young woman in his arms. He held her for a while, happy to feel her warm body against his, then let her go.