Chapitre 13

The next day, the King rode back to the palace with a lighter heart. He was glad that the affection he shared with his brother hadn't waned with the passing of the years and he promised himself that he would come back to visit him and his family in quieter times. As soon as he arrived in the capital, in the middle of the afternoon, he went to his quarters and called for Min Seok-jo.

- Tell me what happened while I was away, he urged him.
- Lord Park and his wife haven't left their residence but several henchmen were sent on errands. I think they've noticed that I was watching them so they were very careful. And Bang Jae-cheon came this morning to see you. He looked worried but didn't say what it was about.
- He probably wanted to talk to me about the state affairs, but I'll deal with this later. My priority is Lord Park.

He handed the list of the plotters to Seok-jo :
- Have all these men arrested and interrogate them. Show them this list and tell them that I've got it from my brother, who's also willing to testify. Make it clear that unless they provide some evidence or will accept to testify against the Left State Councilor, I'll show them no mercy and they'll be executed as traitors. I also want you to send palace guards at the Park residence. No one may leave or enter the place until I get there.

After Seok-jo left to carry out his orders, the King changed into fresh clothes. He wanted to arrest Lord Park himself and he couldn't wait to see his head rolling in the sand. Nothing could save him now. The ministers who sided with the Left State Councilor weren't very brave, they would give up on him to save their lives. He was about to leave when a court lady came in.

- The queen wishes to see you, your Majesty, she said.

The king looked at the woman :
- I can't see her now, tell her I'll come to her quarters later.

But the Queen had already stepped in. She bowed.

- I'm sorry, your Majesty, but I really need to talk to you. I won't be long.

Jin looked at his wife, annoyed. He was about to send her away when he noticed the silken-wrapped package she was holding. His curiosity roused, he sat behind his table.

- I've got urgent matters to deal with. So be quick, he said.

The Queen sat opposite him and put the package in her lap.

- I know you're dealing with pressing matters right now, your Majesty, but please, hear me out. First, I want you to know that I've never tried to harm you. My uncle never shared his plans with me. Nevertheless, I knew what Deok-geum was doing. While I was growing up in Lord Park's house, I've witnessed many things so I knew about her ... special skills. But I was terrified and weak, so I turned a blind eye and let her poison you. I should have stopped her. I'm so sorry I let this happen.
- I have no time for that now, your Majesty, Jin said, clearly irritated.
- Please, she pleaded. Just a moment.

She sounded so desperate that the King was startled and motioned her to go on.
She unwrapped the package, revealing a book, and started to slightly brush its cover.

- This was meant to be a gift for you, she said softly. There are Bai Juyi's poems. I know them all, I borrowed them from my aunt when I was a child and read them thoroughly two or three times. My favorite is the Song of Everlasting Sorrow. I dreamt I could someday share a beautiful love with someone, just like Yang Guifei and Emperor Xuanzong. But that wasn't meant to be. I'm sure you'd love this poem too. Unfortunately, the book is all ruined now so you won't be able to read it.

She brushed the book cover one last time then wrapped it again.

- What are you talking about ?

The queen gazed at him and tears started to roll on her cheeks.

- I failed you, both as your wife and as the Queen, because I was a coward. But I don't want to live like this any more.
- What you say doesn't make any sense ! Jin cried, standing.

The Queen was about to talk when a cough took her and she spat blood. Jin knelled beside her.

- What's happening ? The book ... is it poisoned ? If you knew, why did you touch it ?
- I'm sorry for everything, your Majesty. Don't forgive me.

Jin looked at her, alarmed.

- What did you do ? You didn't need to go this far ! Stay still, I'll send someone to fetch a doctor. Just hang out.

But she grasped his arm.

- It's all right. I'm not afraid any more, not even of death. As a kid, I used to be terrified that my aunt would lock me in her secret room and let me there to starve. I imagined my corpse rotting there until only my bones were left, without anyone noticing, or even caring. But I'm fine now, I'm at peace.

Tears rose in the King's eyes.

- Kim Dong-joo ! he shouted.

The bodyguard stormed in the room.

- Go fetch the royal doctor ! Hurry ! Jin yelled.
- Your Majesty, are you all right ?
- I'm fine. The Queen has been poisoned. Go ! Now !

While Dong-joo was leaving hastily, Jin turned towards his wife :
- I'm sorry. I, too, failed you. I didn't trust you because of your uncle so I ignored you and treated you badly. I should have known how afraid and lonely you were. And even if I couldn't love you, I should, at least, have been your ally and your friend. Please forgive me.

The queen coughed blood again.

- There's nothing to forgive, your Majesty, she whispered. Just think of me with kindness from time to time, so my life won't have been utterly useless.
- You just saved my life, how can you say that your life is useless ? Now, stop talking, it must be painful. Just hold on, the doctor will be there soon.
- It's too late, she answered.

Her body was overwhelmed by spams and her grasp tightened on Jin's arm while she coughed more blood. Then her fingers went limp and her body sank in her husband's arms. A last short breath and she was gone.

- I'm so sorry, Jin whispered.