➪Chapter Seven: Physical touch

Enid woke up to the absence of Wednesday. She almost immediately frowned.

With a deep sigh leaving her mouth, she climbed out of the bed. She should have known that Wednesday wouldn't stay and wait for her to wake up. Why would she anyways?

Enid reached over to her phone as she saw that it was still an hour until class. That must have meant that Wednesday woke up a little earlier than her.

Thing climbed onto the table that was across the room from her. "Hey Thing. Where did Wednesday go?"

He motioned: "to clear her head. She's having this whole conspiracy theory that she's losing her mind."

"Wouldn't that be a good thing for her? I thought she liked those types of things." Enid asked genuinely.

He motioned: "no, she's having a rough time here and trying to not feel emotions. She has this no humanity thing going for her and it's not working out."

Enid looked over for her phone before slipping it into her pocket. "I could go and find her, maybe help her."

He motioned: "but you have school in less than 50 minutes. You can't risk getting a late slip because Wednesday chose to have a little break to herself."

Enid frowned, "what if she needs me?"

The door opened to reveal Wednesday, "I don't need you. I don't need anyone."

Enid squealed at the sight of her. "You're alright!" Her normal smile was visible again. "Why did you leave so early? I was looking forward to seeing you when I woke up."

"That's a terrible wish to have. I was just going for a walk. You should get dressed though, it's almost time for us to start the day." Wednesday voice was just as normal as it ever was.

"Us?" Enid questioned.

"What? Do you not want to spend the day with me? I thought that's what friends do."

Enid smiled as she tried to contain her face from turning red. "I do want to spend the day with you. I just didn't think you would actually agree to this whole thing. I mean we still haven't got down the basic rules of what to do and what not to do for this friendship."

Wednesday raised her eyebrow. "We can just do what normal friendships do."

"You won't like it. You might actually hate it. I don't want to make you uncomfortable so that's why I asked-"

"I like being uncomfortable." Wednesday stopped in front of her as she tilted her head nonchalantly.

Enid squinted her eyes and sighed. "I'm not going to make you uncomfortable. I physically wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did."

Wednesday crossed her arms. "But I like being uncomfortable, aren't friends supposed to make each other happy?" Wednesday took a step forward and crossed the tape once again. "Why don't you want to make me happy?"

Enid gulped. Hard. "Is this some kind of gaslighting thing you have going on because I know you! And you do not like being happy at all."

Wednesday shrugged and looked over her shoulder. "Step one complete. You know me well enough to know that I hate being happy so I believe this friendship will work out to the best extent."

Enid was still a little confused. "So no hugs, still?"

"No hugs. No touching, and no colors, I'm allergic to it."

"Not even a high five? or holding hands? Last night-"

"I don't care what happened before, my rule is no touching, no hugs and no colors, can you handle that?" Wednesday asked.