Chapter 9 - To The Mountains

En başından başla

Armin frowned and scurried along behind him. "Why not? Y/N's gonna be there, she's gonna wonder where you are."

"Just tell her I'm busy with my mom or something," Eren was sulking now, feeling his presence shrinking. "I wouldn't want to ruin your moment with her anyways. Besides, I gotta start keeping my distance from her eventually or else summer after graduation will be even shittier than summer camp."

Armin sighed, looking down at his feet as they walked the hallways. "Alright, well don't be by yourself on the first night of winter break. I would hate to find you drunk and alone again."

Eren gave his good friend a smile as he lightly punched him in the arm. As they entered the classroom, he looked across the class and saw Hitch sitting alone. He hadn't spoken to her much since the Winter Ball, but every once in a while she would glance his way. Eren gulped and sauntered over to her, replacing his sullen face with one of familiar confidence. Although he felt numb in the pit of his stomach and his thoughts were racing. 'If Y/N's moved on, I better not fall behind.'

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Eight days later, Saturday afternoon.

"Yes, I'm being safe, Mom," you said into the receiver of the payphone. You buried your face deeper into your scarf, trying to preserve some amount of heat. You stood in the foyer of Dauper's town hall amongst other tourists and travellers. "Of course, I'm just hiking on the trails we usually go on." Although you had intended to spend most of your time in the mountains alone in meditation, you had to promise your mom you'd check in. It was the least you could do after she helped you get away.

"Okay, thanks for the call, sweetie. It really sounds like you're doing much better," you mom said, she could pick up the tones in your voice easily.

You couldn't help but smile at her comment. You spent the past few days hiking and taking pictures of your scenery. The weather had been kind to you although the mountain range was covered in a thick layer of snow. Most days were at least sunny with little snowfall. You spent time journaling and resting in your thoughts. The only time you had spoken out loud was on the phone with your mom. It was nice to give yourself the time to rest.

"Thanks, Mom, I really am."

"You know, Carla misses you too."

You let out a sigh with a sad smile. "Please don't say you told her where I am," you begged.

Your mom was silent for just a beat and that's all you needed to clarify exactly what you had predicted. "I'm sorry! She was asking all about you at yesterday's book club. The last time you saw her, you hiked through a blizzard to 'get some Tupperware' and ran away with tears in your eyes. And of course, I'm going to tell her all about you."

You slammed a palm to your forehead, feeling helpless over the phone. "Mom, if you tell Carla where I am she is going to tell Eren where I am."

"Now, is that so bad?"

"I left to be away from Eren." You felt like you had to spell out just exactly what the issue was to your mom. "I hope he isn't so stupid that he would try to find me here."

Your mom let out an awkward laugh. "Heh! Well anyways, sweetie, be safe! I saw on the news that there was going to be another bunch of snowfall coming your way, your tent is all secured and whatnot?" You could tell that she was hastily trying to change the conversation.

You yourself didn't want to think about it any further. "Yes, of course, mom. And I've got tons of layers. Well, my time is going to run out on the payphone so I better go."