Chapter 9 - To The Mountains

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Your mom watched you from the door with a frown on her face. "Sweetie, will you be okay?"

You had to smile for her. She was always worried and the cloud that hung around her head didn't give her much comfort. Maybe you got your overthinking from her. "Don't worry mom, I just have to clear my head." You walked back to the front and gave her a long hug. To be hugged was a sensation you missed and feeling the familial support touched you deeper than Armin or Eren ever could. "Thank you again, I'll try to contact you somehow once I get to the town. And please don't tell anyone else where I am."

She nodded and waved you off as she watched you back out of the driveway.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Five days ago, Friday afternoon.

"What exactly are you asking me, Armin..." Eren muttered, slamming the door to his locker shut. Standing before him was his persistent yet mildly irritating friend.

Armin was shuffling in his shoes, stringing together an endless amount of roundabout sentences. "I'm asking you if I should take things further with Y/N or not." Armin shuffled in his feet, trying to whisper for fear that you might appear at any moment. "Things have been getting pretty serious between us these past few days. We've gotten pretty close to-"

"Yeah, you don't need to say any more," Eren said curtly, holding a palm up to stop Armin. Eren rubbed the back of his neck feeling conflicted with what to answer. His answer could affect everything about his relationship with you. The night he kissed you was at the forefront of his mind, the fireworks of feeling his lips touch your skin still electrified his heart. Just a taste wasn't enough. He pushed those feelings away after seeing his two friends falling for each other. After all, he was the one who pushed you and Armin off the ledge towards each other.

Armin blushed and looked down with a smile on his face. Eren wished he could read his mind. You had always kept your distance from Eren's relationships, it was only right that he'd return the favour.

In Eren's eyes, he stretched out a net and lowered a rope for you to come back to him. All it was going to take was for you to reach out and grab him. Unfortunately, you continued to fall and Eren ran out of rope. "If Y/N wants to, then there's nothing I can do to stop that," he finally replied.

"I agree, I just wanted to make sure it was cool with you before I did anything," Armin said, not hiding his glee. "I know you two are best friends." Armin smiled awkwardly and was embarrassed to say, "If I were being honest, I think she would leave me for you if she wanted to..."

"Just because we're best friends doesn't mean she doesn't have her own freedom to decide what she wants. Like I said, if it's her choice," Eren scoffed. "Besides, you can't let her go that easily. She'll slip through your fingers if you're not careful enough."

Eren watched as Armin absorbed his words silently. There was a part of him that wanted to believe what Armin said was true. Maybe you would run back to him. The choice was in your hands. The blonde nodded slowly, and Eren wondered what kind of pieces his friend was placing together.

"I appreciate your advice. I really like Y/N a lot. Hopefully, she feels the same way," Armin chuckled. "By the way, Annie's moving back to town so I was thinking of throwing a little party to welcome her back."

Eren's mind popped to the one specific summer when he met Annie at summer camp. The name alone brought back memories that were anything but pleasant. He remembered the way she would reduce him into submission, teasing him for being weak. Maybe it worked on him to some degree because he wanted to avoid feeling that way for as long as possible. Eren had no idea how Armin could tolerate her; maybe he was too easily persuaded and saw too much good in people. "Yeah, no I'm not coming to that," Eren said plainly, beginning his walk to class.