ALTERNATE CHAPTER I - UNFOOLISH

Author's Note

... Hi
How are you, my love? I hope you're well, and enjoying everything life has to offer.

So I kinda did the most.

I promise, this started with the intention to just revisit a fan-favourite part of the story, and imagine how this might have went if they hadn't reunited in Chapter 13 - ASHANTI FLOW, the way they did.

And now we're here, over 30k words later, with a whole new mini story.

If you haven't revisited this book in a while I suggest you at least go back and refresh yourself by reading Chapter 13, so you know what point we're picking up from.

But all that aside, thank you for 20k reads! That is an accomplishment that blows my mind, so I just wanted to give y'all the love you give me back.

Hope you enjoy!

See you at the end!

Moodlist
Ashanti - Unfoolish
Beyoncé - Me, Myself & I
Ariana Grande - In My Head
What Happened 2 U - Usher
No Sense - Justin Bieber featuring Travis Scott

MoodlistAshanti - UnfoolishBeyoncé - Me, Myself & IAriana Grande - In My HeadWhat Happened 2 U - UsherNo Sense - Justin Bieber featuring Travis Scott

If you asked me to name the quintessential early '00s R&B music video, I would probably give you two options.

Me, Myself and I by the incomparable Beyoncé or the R&B heavyweight champ Ashanti and her iconic video for Foolish. It was something about the 16:9 formatting, the slow-mo shots of the women walking dressed to the nines, the soft fade to black.

Timeless.

Picture the scene.

I was putting the last of my belongings into my duffel. Everything I was taking still fit in the small bag.

Angelo had urgent business to attend to, and fled the scene hours before. I thought it was an excuse to let me vacate the apartment in peace, so after giving him a tender goodbye kiss, I got on with it.

I chose a white midi dress, and camel-toned tailored overcoat as the base of my ensemble. My boots were a beige snakeskin and went up to my knee, under the dress. It was staring to get cold already toward the end of August, so the slight layering was warranted.

My sunglasses were over my face and the Uber was outside. I had some money left from my initial deposit, turned cash pot, enough to relocate and start again. I would have to start working immediately but my resume had grown infinitely longer and more valuable.

And this was supposed to be a good thing.

It was a good thing.

I had achieved all that I set out to do.