XVIII - KINSHASA

Moodlist
Lady - Fela Kuti
Ngaï Tembe Eleka - Franco Luambo
Salvatore - Lana Del Rey
I Wanna Be Like You - Ibeyi
Compared to What - Roberta Flack

Moodlist Lady - Fela KutiNgaï Tembe Eleka - Franco Luambo Salvatore - Lana Del ReyI Wanna Be Like You - IbeyiCompared to What - Roberta Flack

The two brothers were in the beautifully decorated home office of the older sibling. His girlfriend had recently done a bit of an overhaul and it was just what was needed. A previously minimal office, was now decorated with a few pieces of African and Brazilian Artwork and sculptures. There was a painting depicting a scene far away; the detail was incredible. The room was now a beige colour and the furnishings were still black.

The feel of the room went from barren to a modern take on the Neo-African aesthetic. It didn't look like a caricature of an African Art Bazaar, or the overcompensation of a man who had never been to the continent. It was an homage. If you didn't know who's office it was, you would know it was that of a black man.

The feeling of her presence in the room is the only thing that kept the older man from knocking over the carefully curated shelving unit she had put together.

"What is it Ray?" A poor greeting to a man he had worked with for over a year, but the Russian didn't expect anything better from his boss.

The younger man watched the conversation go on. It was short. At first, his brothers face drained of all colour. That's what made him sit up and put his hand to the gun he had tucked into his waist band.

It seemed like the melanin had dropped off to make room for a new, red complexion. It was almost like watching a cartoon character, be animated to have a red tint, slowly rising to the top of their head. Although no steam emerged from his ears, the man observing his brother knew that whatever happened had to do with a) his girlfriend and b) was serious.

The conversation had ended as quickly as it started.

"They..."

"They what, Gelo?"

"They, shot... They, shot at her." It was a mumble. Enough for Vince to hear but her needed to be sure.

"What do you mean Angelo, speak up!" A sense of urgency passed between the two men, almost like static electricity.

"THEY FUCKING SHOT HER VIN!" There, a much more unambiguous attempt by the older Leone.

The yell Angelo had cast forward was accompanied by him standing up, movements filled to the brim with rage.

With that much being said, the two men hurried to the injured woman.