40: I've Lost My Way Around

Mulai dari awal

Strangely, she didn't feel afraid at the moment, she was too dazed.

It was also way too warm here for her Atlas coat, she realized a second later, and discarded it, tying it around her waist.

Aimlessly, she kept wandering, keeping her hand out, trying to sense any more metal in the area, since it was her best bet at finding anyone else.

For a while nothing happened, but then she began to get something.

Following it, with some trial and error, she came to some thicker trees. It reminded her of the Forever Fall forest a little.

She stepped around one, and finally, to her great relief, she saw Jaune hanging of the branch of one... The tree was purple, but other than that it looked kind of like a regular sycamore tree... The leaves were 6-pointed, however.

"Why won't this break?!" Jaune was muttering, trying to snap the branch he was caught on by his hoodie.

He pulled out his sword clumsily and hacked at the branch, then it snapped, and he fell and hit one of the branches below it.

"Ow..." he muttered, Aura flashing.

He slowly started trying to climb off this one.

"Do you have any spots left on your team?" Pyrrha stepped around the tree she was by and into view.

"Ah!" Jaune jumped and slid the rest of the way off the branch and hit the ground about 10 feet below him.

"Oh, Jaune, I'm sorry!" Pyrrha rushed over. "I was just trying to make a joke."

"Ow..." Jaune blinked and looked up, then he sat up. "Pyrrha? What are you doing here?"

"I...fell..." Pyrrha said.

"Fell?" Jaune said. "But..." He looked upwards. "Where did we fall from?"

"I don't know," Pyrrha said. "But we probably shouldn't have survived it... Somehow we did. I have no memory of what happened after the abyss swallowed me."

"Me neither." Jaune rubbed his head. "I feel like we fell for a long time, but that's all..."

Pyrrha held out her hand. He took it, and she helped him up.

"Time was you'd not have gotten out of that tree yourself," she said. "I guess things have changed."

"If you can call falling the rest of the way getting out..." Jaune rubbed his shin. "Oh, right, you said that back on that second day at Beacon...when I didn't have a landing strategy."

"I guess some things haven't changed," Pyrrha said.

"I do have a landing strategy now!" Jaune protested. "I just was unconscious while I was falling. That so does not count."

"I was kidding," Pyrrha said.

"I know," Jaune said. "But, like, still..."

"But we weren't the only ones who fell," Pyrrha said. "Yang, Ruby, Blake, all of them...and weren't there some others that Cinder blasted off?" [Love how the show forgot that. ]

"Yeah, where is this?" Jaune asked.

"It has to be another world," Pyrrha said. "That's the only explanation that makes sense."

"The only one?" Jaune said. "Really? I mean, I'm sure there has to be some other explanation that could make sense..."

He looked around.

A bird that looked unlike anything they'd ever seen ran across their path and peered at them, then ran on.

"I'm not sure there is," Pyrrha said.