Chapter 48 | Power

Start from the beginning

"We're almost there," He coos, his warm breath caressing my earlobe.

My stomach turns into knots as we turn into a gated part of this large community.

Out of anxiousness, my leg begins to bounce up and down. But it is promptly stopped by Blake's hand over my leg.

"It's okay; just relax. You'll be with me the whole time, and I won't let anything happen to you."

I nod while continuing to look out the window.

This long paved driveway seems to go on forever as we ride against the smooth concrete. The limousine driver stops slowly, and I try to move my head for a peek at the venue.

After a couple of minutes of supposedly waiting in the valet line, the door of our limousine opens to a red carpet. I slowly exit the car, allowing Blake to follow once the train of my dress falls behind me.

My eyes immediately widen as I look up.

The red carpet leads to the grandest entrance I have ever seen.

A Victorian mansion upheld by millions of stone bricks faces me in all its glory. Its tan color is darkened by the moonlight, reflecting grays and blacks onto the concrete below. With every movement that my eyes make, something new is discovered.

I notice a fifty-foot stained glass window in the east quadrant of the mansion and multiple regal columns in the west. Lifting my head, I realize how tall this building is.

It propels itself into the air with crosses and spikes of all sorts.

Safe to say that whoever owns this house is filthy rich.

"You ready?" Blake asks as his hand wraps around my waist. His breath rolls down my skin and into my body like a raindrop on a leaf.

"This place is insane," I whisper, careful not to let any other people arriving hear me. The women are dressed in elegant gowns, and the men are in full suits and ties.

I'm glad I decided to wear this dress because if I had worn something different, we would have been the laughingstock of this high-end party.

"Don't be nervous," He insists.

Easy for him to say; he's probably been to a million of these in his lifetime.

Blake urges me towards the long staircase leading to the entrance. I try my best to walk in a straight line with my heels, but it proves to be difficult when I can't see my feet over the long dress. Luckily, Blake holds me steady as we walk up the stairs.

The red carpet finally ends at two large double doors held open by two large security guards. As soon as we enter, we are met by a large marble staircase with gold railing and rich brown carpeting everywhere.

The low chatter and clinking of glassware are minuscule but come to a complete halt when Blake and I walk into the foyer. All eyes turn to him and me, making me gulp. A weird sensation takes over my body, and my nerves become fragile.

I'm going to throw up, I think to myself.

Blake straightens his back and leads me around the grand entrance.

It seems like he's been here before.

People nod his way, and some even bow at his presence. But, his eyes rarely deviate from his purpose. He shifts us through hallways and long corridors.

Large crystal chandeliers hang with open balconies on the other side of the walkway. The ceilings seem miles away, and the place is dimly lit with burning candles.