SEQUEL - Chapter 34

Start from the beginning

He took all this time to write down what he was thinking but never said even a word of it to the people it was addressed to. Joanna wondered what it must have taken him to not speak up, not to say that people were understanding things wrong and the urge to just lay facts down on the table, but her father was never like that. He never justified his actions. He just lived.

Reading these books was emotional. Joanna liked the one of Niki's rivalry with James Hunt. It was exciting and entertaining. The Austrian had never heard her father swear as much as in these books when he wrote about James Hunt, or that excited and smug when he wrote about the fact that he figured out that Hunt's team had preached the regulations, her father even wrote down that it won't make a difference for the car's performance but rules were rules and he wanted that championship win, so he would stop at nothing.

But there were also newer ones. It must have been the last one he wrote, it was dated a month before he died. Each and every entry of this book started with the same two words. 'For Johanna'. Before something was written down, he felt could be useful in the future. Causing silent tears to make their way down Joanna's cheeks.

"...I do not know what it is you need to hear now that you are reading this which is frustrating me greatly. I only know that I will be gone but you will still need my guidance for I've never taught you how to be a member of the Lauda family, only how to be a Lauda which sadly enough is a big difference. This is my biggest struggle and it's kind of ironic because I feel like you won't ever understand what that means.

Matthias will help you, he is your brother and he will do whatever is needed. I trust you will appoint him my seat once I'm gone, that's a smart move, you need people you can trust in your corner and Verstappen isn't enough, we both know that. He might be the love of your life and whatnot else, but he's not stable enough to be a loyal ally in the council. He's too jumpy and still feels the need to prove himself. You know who your most loyal allies are and always were. Appoint your remaining seats, you will need to hold a majority in the council. Adrian, Alain and Matthias are there to guide you, trust them to know what's best, but never blindly follow instructions. You are a Lauda, we lead, we don't follow.

I do not wish to leave you open and prone to mistakes which can be easily made now that you are the owner of so much more than you were born to have. I am overly worried about the situationship you call your love life, but this has to wait for another time. I cannot give you clear instructions for I don't know the situation you will be in once you inherit everything I've ever owned but I can warn you. The moment you are made my heir there are two groups of people you have to be most careful about.

The Lauda foundation will try to take back the control I snatched away from them the moment I named my bastard and favourite child – don't flatter yourself with that fact, your siblings are children, not fit to lead even their own life or fully raised under the palm of the foundation – my heir. It is up to you to protect what I've given you so be careful and talk to our lawyers before you take any step against them. The foundation is a serious problem, but as long as you won't have an heir for yourself, there is little to nothing they can do to harm you and should that day come one day that you will be a mother, I have left clear instructions at the notary's office how to make sure this child will be raised as you want it and not like Matthias or you were. I have made certain precautions for my grandchildren.

The second group of people I want you to be careful about are the Piquets. You're deep routing enmity with Kelly might cause troubles where there is no need for it. Nelson is a snake, beware of him. He will bite you the first chance given. I know what your go-to method is to deal with them, but buying them won't work this time, they will always come back and ask for more. Do not give in. Raise hell against them if you must and never allow them to gain any more influence in the council. Back then we needed them to take over, but now, when you can end them, do not hesitate Johanna. I know that you are sometimes a bit sentimental when it's about Kelly, due to her being just another woman in this world trying to get what she deserves, but in this case, I think it will be a matter of you or her, but it shouldn't be an issue for long. People love you like they love little to nothing. With so much awe and passion, respect. The only issue is see is Verstappen, he could damage your reputation greatly. BE careful around him.