The Strange of Change

Start from the beginning

Sendak glares at me when finally making a decision, "Very well. We will continue with the steady procedure of your training. You will be allowed to recover from your injuries, but after that you will follow my commands with no more objections. Are we clear, Starblaze?"

"Yes, Commander." I bow my head and salute him, "Vrepit sa."

The talk ends and the guards lead me back to my prison cell. My mind is replaying everything that just happened. I actually spoke to Sendak and refused to become the great warrior that I am supposed to be. At least he didn't take it all too harshly, but what could this mean for later, when I do another trial? What did I just do?!

Thoughts continue running through my head, so much so, that I hardly realize that I'm back in my cell, sitting in the back corner away from the Champion. It all feels so different from what I've been doing since I was still young, I don't know how I should be feeling about it.

I'm just so confused, I got this weird feeling in my stomach. Could I be sick? Is it because I'm getting older? Is there even a better reason for me talking back to my Commanding Officer I have to look up to? Isn't that even what I wanted?

Wait. What I wanted...

"Wouldn't you want that?"

I glance at the Champion, his head is down, he seems like he's scared and sad.

Maybe it's because of him that I'm acting weird. Ever since I first came to this prison cell, he's been treating me differently unlike other prisoners. While they would just remain silent and cowardly when I'm near, Champion acts calm and talks to me, he even chose to touch me when he mended my wounds.

All this time I've been thinking about myself as someone above everyone but the Galra, but now... I'm not sure if I'm really like that at all. I have been wondering what different places are like outside the ship, this can be my only chance to learn more.

I look at the human again and this time, I let words out of my mouth.

"Why did you help me?" I've been wanting to ask that for a while now.

Champion looks up at me confused. I started explaining to him, "You didn't owe me anything. You had a choice to ignore me and let me die, but you didn't. Why is that?"

He just stares at me for a moment, like he's waiting for something else, but I remain silent with my non-threatening expression. What was the right word for that?... Oh, yeah. Friendly.

"I... I just couldn't let you die." He finally answers, "I'm not that kind of person to do that, it wasn't right for me."

I stare at him as he says those words for a moment before speaking, "But I've been treating you very poorly, almost like the way the Galra have been treating me. I've done nothing to deserve your concern for me."

"Well that's true, you have. But believe it or not, we're both prisoners here, held by aliens who don't care about our lives. But I do care. And although I might not have a lot of experience around other aliens who are different from me, I don't let that change everything good about myself. I choose not to let that make me cruel and so can you."

I find myself speechless. I never thought it could be that way, to care for and help someone else's well-being. It's strange.

"And look, I get that you don't like having my help and I understand why, I really do. And the way you were acting, I'm not holding anything against you, I'm not the kind of guy that can hold a grudge."

I lower my head down to think all of this through. No one has ever shown this sort of kindness and understanding, let alone forgiveness. I've no clue what I'm feeling at the moment, and I'm not sure how exactly to respond to everything he's saying except...