No Sleep

I could say I slept like a baby on the couch after Annabeth Kissed my cheek... but I'd be lying. Wide awake all night in the dark living room, all quiet except for the occasional scream outside. The power is still out, along with the data on my phone. Still zero clue on what's happening.

Soon enough the sun starts to shine on the windows, filling the room with light. My mind races with Mom and Estelle, wondering about where they are and if they are ok. What are those things? Definitely not alive but also somehow not dead.

"Percy!" a hand waves in front of my face, my heart skips a beat.

"Gods you scared me." I hold my chest.

"Sorry, I've been saying your name for like 5 minutes." Annabeth sits next to me on the couch.

"Oh sorry... I guess I was spaced." I say. "Grover still asleep?"

"Dude, I said morning like 10 minuets ago." He complains while doing something in the kitchen. "I'm literally right in front of you."

"Sorry man... I didn't sleep much." I say yawning.

"You too?" Annabeth leans onto my shoulder. "I was wide awake the whole time... so I snooped." She says with a hint of evilness.

"Did you find the box behind my dresser?" I ask.

She snaps her head to look at me. "No...But now I will." She gets up fast and I grab her wrist and pull her back down to the couch.

"There is no box..." I bluff, she stares at me, studying my face.

"Ok..." she still stares studding me.

"So, what are those things?" Grover says. "From what I saw... I don't think they are alive." He sits at the coffee table in front of the couch and hands us each a sandwich.

"Yeah, I saw one rip Mr. Brunner's throat out. He bleed to death in my hands... then came back alive trying to bite me." I say.

"Mr. Riordan got bit on the wrist by some girl, he killed her... then after like few minutes he got real pale and cold, then he started chasing me until you guys showed up." Annabeth says.

"Is it some sort of infection?" Grover says. "What do they have in common?" we sit in silence thinking about it.

"OH!" Annabeth yelps. "They all changed after they got bitten from an infected person!" she says happily like she got a question right on a game show.

"So, you turn into a thing after you got bit by a thing?" I say. "Ok... until we find something else about it...lets not get bit."

"What do we call them... what even are they?" Annabeth says.

"What was that game you made me play? The one that made me nauseous?" Grover asks me.

"Almost all of them." I say.

"With the reporter guy and the mall?" he says.

"Oh, Dead Rising." I say.

"Yeah! It's pretty much the same thing... what did they call them... the dead things?" He says.

"I don't remember." I shrug.

"Really dude?" Grover glares at me.

"IT WAS LIKE 10 YEARS AGO!" I snap. "Lets just call them... Grover's" I shoot a look at him.

"You really want a beat down in front of your crush." Grover says.

"DUDE...Not cool!" I look at Annabeth, she's pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Let's just call them freaks!" Annabeth interrupts us.

"I like Grover's better." I say.

"You bastard!" Grover jumps on me.

"Of course, I had to be with two idiots..." Annabeth sighs.... Then dogpiles onto Grover crushing me more.

After a couple minutes of us fighting, we finally settle down.

"Do you... surrender Jackson?" Grover pants.

"Yeah... do you?" Annabeth pants.

"Ok-ok... geesh... why did you guys team up on me?" I try catching my breath.

"Cause your annoying." Grover says.

"Cause I wanted to." Annabeth smiles.

"Where do you live Annabeth?" I ask her.

"Oh, like you don't know already." Grover scoffs.

"Just outside of Manhattan." She says. "Too far for us to walk, and I doubt we wanna go in the subway."

"Don't you wanna get to your parents?" I ask.

"My dad is in California, and if we make it to your mom we will see mine too." She says.

"Wait... are you my sister?" I ask.

"No, seaweed brain!" she yells. "My mom is the Admiral of that Navy fleet in Long Island Sound."

"Ohhh... that makes more sense." I say. "and for the record... I don't know where you live."

"Don't worry, I know." She smiles. "We should get moving soon."

"Yeah ok... I have some old backpacks in my closest, we can use those... for backpacks." I say.

"Oh, good thinking, I didn't realize we could use them like that." Annabeth smiles.

"Oh Ha...Ha..." I smile back. "Grover can you find supplies and set them on the island?" I ask.

"yeah, can you find weapons?" he says.

"On it, Beth can you get the bags?" I ask.

"Yes." She smiles and runs to my room, weird but ok.

Ionly mange to find a old baseball bat and a large survival knife I got for Christmasone year from my crazy uncle P