The Clearing

The first snow had falled in December and I had woken up to a snowflake-shaped card by my bed this morning. It was an invitation to the Evers Snow Ball, and it had my name on it ingraved with pearls. At the Clearing, this was what every Ever was talking about. At least the Evergirls.

Beatrix, Reena, Millicent and I were sitting together, just chatting, when I saw Kiko approach. Her hair was dyed badly and it looked patchy. But she looked proud, and that was what mattered. "Hi girls," she smiled as she sat down next to me. The group of girls exchanged nervous looks. "Your hair looks wonderful," I lied, trying my best to sound supportive. "Thank you!" she smiled. "I'm matching with Tristan, and now he has to ask me to the Evers Ball!" she told. I looked over her shoulder and saw the Everboys playing some stupid game with marbles. A little further back, Tristan sat. "Um.. Kiko?" I began. She looked at me with interested eyes. "You might want to take a look at Tristan." She looked behind her to see Tristan sitting in the grass with blonde dyed hair to match Beatrix.

Kiko sighed. "Hey, it's ok," Beatrix tried, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "That's easy for you to say! Every boy wants you!" Kiko replied, but then she got another idea, and her face changed from sad to happy very quickly. "What if I dye my hair blonde!" she proposed as she started touching her hair. "Let us help you this time," Reena said as she placed her hand on Kiko's. The girls went on, fantacising about the Snow Ball and who would take them there. Meanwhile, I was looking over my shoulder to see Hort sitting with the three girls he had done that one day at lunch. I turned back to see Tedros walking over to us, so I figured that ot was a great time to leave.

"Hey, I think one of those Nevers stole something from me one time. It was my mothers ring and it's very precious to me, I need to go get it," I excused myself as I got up. "Ok, but be careful. Nevers are dangerous," Beatrix said sympathetically. I smiled in reply and started making my way over to the Nevers side.

On this side of the field, the studens were crazy. Some were brewing potions and casting spells, others were reading books about ancient torture and some were smoking something I didn't even want to know what was. Hort and the girls were laughing, but the one muching chocolate stopped, smirked and poked Hort as she saw me approaching. Hort turned his head and his eyes grew large as he saw me in my white dress, the complete opposite of everyone around me.

"Hi," I smiled. "Hi," he replied as he stood up to meet my eyes. The girls ooo-ed with smug smiles on their faces. I looked at Hort with confusion, but quickly pieced two and two together. "You told them?" I hissed as I grabbed him by the collar of his black shirt. "I'm sorry, they had to know. I tell them everything," he replied nervously. "And you're always welcome in Room 66," the chocolate-girl said. I loosened my grip around Hort's shirt and gave her a sweet, yet confused look in reply. "Even though you're an Ever, we can tolerate you. As long as you don't sing and bring all sorts of doe-eyed animals into our room," the girl with the wild black hair said. "Thank you?" I replied, not really knowing what to say to that.

"Hey listen, I told the girls over at my table that you stole my mother's ring, and that I needed to get it back," I whispered. "And?" Hort asked, inrtigued. "Give me one of your rings!" I demanded in a low whisper. Hort took of one of his rings without questions and handed it to me. "You'll get it back, I promise." "What now?" he asked anticipatingly. "I need to slap you." The three girls looked up at Hort and me with intrigued eyes. "What?" he asked, baffled. "I'm sorry. It'll be very convincing," I aplogised, but before he could say anything back, I swung my hand and loudly slapped it across his face.

I turned on my heel and stormed off with my chin held high and one of Hort's silver ring on my finger. Hort was left standing with his hand over a red mark on his cheek and an adoring look in his eyes. "Now that's a woman," I could hear him swoon from afar as he sat down. The Nevers stared at me as I walked back to my Evergirl friends.