Chapter Fifteen. Home "sweet" home.

I felt panic spread across my whole body. I began to say something many times and stopped. I looked around. What do I even say to that? I glanced up at the security camera, then back to the officer standing before me.

"Nevermind," he said after we just stared at each other for a minute.

"Your body language tells me everything I need to know." He smirked as he said this. This 'reading me' thing he's doing is starting to get on my nerves. For all that he knows he could be accusing an innocent woman! I decided to change the topic.

"When am I getting discharged?" I said

"Why? Got somewhere to be?" He said, obviously enjoying the fact he was annoying me.

"Yeah, home. Now when am I getting out of here?" I said

"Tonight, after your psych eval." He said

"Great. Then will you leave me alone?" I said

"Hah, no. I'm watching you until you're out of danger, not until you're out of the hospital." He said

"Are you kidding me, you don't mean-" I said, in disbelief.

"Looks like I'm going to get to see your house. You know, on average 52% of evidence of a crime is found inside the guilty party's house." He said, smirking.

"Bullshit. In 75% of crimes, evidence isn't even collected from the criminal's house." I said. I paused for a moment, had I just let my knowledge of the criminal world slip? He wasn't going to overlook that.

"Well, well, well. You've done your research. Planning a crime are we?" He said, trying to make me nervous.

"Scareing me with fake statistics won't work, and neither will accusing me with loose statements. Just because I know a basic statistic doesn't make me guilty." I said defensively. A knock came on the door. It was for my psych eval. The officer looked at me as he went to leave the room.

"Don't be nervous, I'm going to be standing right outside this door the whole time." He said smirking back at me.

His thinly veiled intimidation methods aren't going to work on me, not after the shit I've seen.

The psych eval went smoothly. I lied my way through it, and I was deemed mentally stable. I got changed into some clothes of mine that Mila brought over. I got the bag of my belonging and headed towards the door. I opened the door to see no one but officer cynical. He was holding my keys. I went to snatch them but he pulled them away.

"Yeah, no. I'm driving." He said. We walked down to the parking lot, me staying as far away from him as possible and not talking, and we got in my car.

"Your lucky I'm letting you drive. You better not speed." I said.

"Yeah yeah, I'm a cop. I know the law dumbass." He said, rolling his eyes. He started the car and pulled out of the parking lot. I put my address into google maps.

"I don't live far. Did you bring clothes with you or anything?" I said.

"No, I can stay in this." He said. I glanced up and down at his police uniform.

"Yeah, no. I have something oversized you can borrow." I said. He looked at me unsure.
"It would be super weird for you to just be in your uniform all day and night, creepy. I don't need you projecting your cop energy on me." I said.

"You're weird." he chuckled.

"Whatever officer suspicious," I said

"Alright, that was the worst insult I've ever heard, and my name is Nick." He said. I smiled

"Y'know what Nick rhymes with?" I said looking over at him, smiling.

"If you don't shut up I will give you a parking ticket." He said.

Stupid police privileges.

Soon we pulled up to my apartment building. I got out of the car and led him to my apartment. I unlocked the door and opened it. Suddenly fear shot through my body. My desk was still a mess with my research. I felt him shove past me. He looked around and immediately walked over to my desk. He scanned everything on it and looked at me.

"Geez, you seem so guilty that it's comical." He said. I sighed and closed the door. I sat my bag down on the couch.

"Listen, I know it looks bad, but just but uh, I can explain," I said in a panicked voice

"Then explain. This looks super bad." He said picking up some of my research.

"Well, you see, I kind of study...the killer. Not like I look up to him or anything like that! I just wanted to try and maybe...help catch him. I've always wanted to be a detective." I explained

"Huh. I wouldn't have taken you for the type. I bet you must look up to me a ton huh?" He said, smirking.

"Please. I've got higher standers then that." I said, going over to my desk and snatching my research out of his hand.

"So, you know the killer?" He said casually. I paused and felt fear flash across my body again.

"...what? No." I said.

"I mean, you called them "he". You also called your kidnapper "he", which means you somehow know both of their genders which means they are most likely the same person in this context." He said calmly. I stared at him.

"Loose accusations with no proof," I said. I then got some oversized clothes and handed them to him.

"Go change. You look bad in blue." I said, trying to distract him.

"Fine. I'm totally going through your bathroom drawers though." He said and he walked off to my bathroom.

I looked around my apartment. I was surprised to find it wasn't exactly how I left it. My drawers were messing, and my things were disorganized. But it wasn't a wreck, it looked like someone had tried to put everything back in place. I mainly noticed my desk and all my research were completely a mess. I cleaned it up a little and moved to my room. I found my window was open. For all I know I could have left it open three months ago, so no big deal. I lay down on my bed. For some reason, I felt like it smelt different...like someone had used it. Maybe Mila had stayed over.