Chapter 8 - The dream

Three days have passed since I got my first power and my strength is weakening every minute. I've lost consciousness three times already and I'm drained of energy. Jace has been by my side ever since the first time I fainted but I barely speak to him now. After our fight, I distanced myself from him, our conversations turning into one word sentences. My exhaustion makes me sleep for hours, only waking up for the bathroom or food. Jace, however, looked like he was hit by a bus. His eyes were blood-shot and puffy. There were bags under his eyes and his hair was a complete mess, sticking up at random places. I knew he was tired as hell, but he was too stubborn to fall asleep. Jace did everything for me, he got me my food and he helped me to the bathroom because I had no strength in me to go alone. The guilt was eating me up, knowing that it was my fault that he was in this state. It was going to take me some time to forget what he did but I was willing to give him a chance... again. I turned to face his slumped figure in the chair next to the bed.

"Jace..." I started quietly.

Jace whipped his head up and looked up at me with hope in his eyes. He rubbed off the sleep in his eyes and blinked few times.

"Yes?" he asked cautiously.

"I'm sorry," I told him. I lowered my eyes and stared at my hands on my lap, my eyes filling with tears. I blinked rapidly to stop the tears from flowing out but it didn't work. A tear rolled down my cheek and before I could wipe it away, another hand did it for me.

I looked up to see Jace's sad face staring at me, his own eyes welling up. He chuckled in disbelief.

"You're apologizing?" he said, shaking his head, "I'm the one who should be apologizing. I keep messing up with you and it's only been like a month. I'm sorry Caroline, I really am. Please... Forgive me, just one more time."

His blue eyes were filled with sorrow and desperation. I nodded my head quickly, more tears falling. Last time, Caroline, this is the last time. Last chance, last chance that he'll get.

He pulled me into a hug while I weakly wrapped my arms around him. Jace must have sensed my struggle because he pulled back and looked at me with worry. I laid back on the pillow and moved to one side of the bed, leaving a space beside me.

I patted the bed and motioned Jace to come and lie down. "You really need some sleep, you look horrible. You're taking a shower later as well," I said pinching my nose dramatically. He didn't smell that bad though.

He chuckled and kicked his shoes off and got under the covers. I turned to him and laid my head on his chest, his arm instinctively wrapping around my waist. I snuggled into him and relaxed my body, lying there for a few minutes before drifting off to sleep.

When I opened my eyes again, I could see the familiar bright light in front of me. The corners of my lips twitched, slowly growing into a smile. I ran to the light, happiness bubbling through my body, the thought of seeing my family again bringing excitement to my face. I stepped out of the light into the beautiful field, the flowers swaying slightly with the wind and some occasional chirps from the birds. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, the fresh aroma of nature wafting into my nose. I could hear the whispers of the wind as it blew through my hair, ruffling my already messed up hair. I opened my brown eyes, expecting my family to be standing in front of me with smiles on their faces. My face dropped, my smile fading when I saw nothing. I whipped my head around, searching the clearing for any source of humanity. The speed of the wind picked up and I saw the fluttering of wings as all the birds flew away from the trees. The sky grew dark, dark clouds shadowing the bright sun, soon ridding the whole sky of light. Darkness surrounded me as my long hair flew around, hitting my face. Frantically, I looked around, fear inside me rising to the surface.