Chapter 6 - Home

Jace POV ( SURPRISE !!! )

Nightfall had already arrived when I looked out of the window. Caroline finished her story and fell asleep few minutes ago. Half way through, the pack doctor took her vitals and gave her the green light to go back home. And now, with my mate cocooned in my arms, I tightened my grip when I went over everything that she had told me. Looking down at her, I stared at her angel face, memorising every beautiful feature. Her rosy lips were slightly parted, soft snores escaping her mouth. I shifted my position, pulling myself from her and laying her on the bed. Looking around, I grabbed a duffel bag and put all of her possessions in it. It wasn’t much, just an old mobile phone and her few clothes. I slung the duffel bag on my shoulder and turned back to my sleeping mate. I bent down and put one arm under her knees and the other, under her back. Caroline stirred but didn’t wake up. I shifted her body so that her head was resting on my shoulder and her hands involuntarily fisted my shirt. I chuckled and left the room, closing the door quietly behind me using my foot. I headed towards the car and flung the bag in the backseat. I strapped Caroline to the passenger seat as gently as possible. Walking around the front of the car, I got into the car and started the engine. I took a few moments to calm myself before pressing my foot to the pedal. Two minutes into the drive, I felt my eyes well up in tears. I tightened my grip on the steering wheel, my knuckles starting to turn white. All my thoughts whirled around in my head and I’ve never felt so ashamed of myself in my whole life. The pain and torture that I had put my mate through was killing me inside and my wolf was whimpering in pain. I felt like banging my head on the wall, thinking of how stupid I had been. I accused my mate of doing something that she never did and then put her through 7 years of something that she never deserved. Tears flowed down my cheeks as I clenched my jaw in anger. I did nothing to stop them.

As I arrived at my house, I saw my mother rush out of the house to greet me. I swiftly parked the car in my garage and switched the engine off. I beckoned my mum over silently, to keep my mate asleep. When she made it to my side, I had already taken Caroline into my arms.

“Mum, can you take the bag from the back and take it to my room?” I told my mother, my eyes pleading in exhaustion. My mum replied with a quick nod and a small smile before hurrying up the stairs with the bag.

I softly closed the door of the car and headed towards the house, my heart heavy and sad. I passed the living room, which had fallen silent as everyone watched me with curious eyes. I ignored the stares and headed towards my room. Pushing the door open, I saw the bag on the bed as I thanked my mother mentally. I lay Caroline on my bed and cursed myself for what I was about to do. I grabbed he pjs from the bag and put them on the bed. Lifting her hands above her head, I removed her old t-shirt and pulled down her pants. My wolf was fidgeting in my head but I trained my eyes to her face. I took her pyjama set and put them on her, my eyes never straying from her face. Untying her hair, I pulled the bed covers over her. I took one more look at my mate and turned my back, exiting the room.

Silence took over the entire room when I went back down. Most of the pack members looked at me in curiosity while the rest stared at me with worried eyes. I gave them a small smile, that didn’t reach my eyes, and headed to the kitchen where I could hear my mother cooking.  I trudged over to one of the chairs silently and sat down behind the counter. My mother paused her cooking to turn around and look at me.

“How is she?” was the first question she asked me.

With a sigh, I replied, “She’s perfectly healthy, just a little tired.”

“How are you?” my mother asked in a soft voice, “and don’t you dare say you’re fine, because I know that you’re not.” My mother looked at me sternly, pointing her finger right at my chest.