Chapter 4 - A victory dance

It was an endless black tunnel. Darkness surrounded me and I was wandering aimlessly with no destination. I halted in my tracks when I noticed a source of light in front of me. Hope filled me before I started sprinting towards it, almost like my life depended on the light. With each step, I neared it, a small smile forming on my face. The light was getting closer and I raised my arm to cover my eyes from the blinding light. I broke through the darkness and found myself in a beautiful field.

“Where am I,” I thought out loud, my head swarming with confusion and curiosity.  

A soft chuckle made me spin on my heel. There she was, in all her beauty, her long, blonde hair cascaded down her back, blowing with the slight breeze. A soft smile played on her lips, reaching her beautiful brown eyes. Her angelic face looked at me with adoration. I smiled back at her, before running to her and engulfing her in a bear hug.

“Hey Mum,” I whispered, happiness seeping through my voice. I hadn’t see her in months and it felt good to finally breath in her comforting scent. Her arms wrapped around me, returning the hug.

“Hi, sweetheart,” she replied.

I snapped my head to the left when I heard a snort, bringing a happy grin onto my face. My seven brothers came towards me, all of them having smiles on their faces. Letting go of my mother, I ran towards them, giggling like a little child. They pulled me into a group hug with open arms, a few tears making its way down my face. All of them, looking down at me with those familiar brown eyes, the same eyes that I was blessed with.

Pulling away, I finally said what was my mind, “So, what’s with the family meeting?” bringing worry into all of their eyes.

“You know why we’re here Caroline, the Great War is coming and it’s time for you to get ready,” my mother said in a soft voice, fear and worry swimming in her eyes.

“However…. before we get all sappy and start crying, I wanted to congratulate you on kicking all their as—buts today,” my oldest brother said changing his words when he saw the stern but amused look that our mother gave him.

I laughed, it had been quite some time since I had a genuine laugh. I looked at all of them, this was my real family and I was happy with them. Even though my mother was the Moon Goddess, we all acted like ourselves in front of her, not some sort of servant that wouldn’t curse in front of the Queen. With the eight of us, we were a handful for her, especially when I was younger and my brothers chased me around and teasing me. I spent most of my nights here, with my family and having the most fun that I could ever have.

I let out a soft sigh, drifting my eyes down to my shoes. When I looked back up, my brothers had worry lines etched on their foreheads, but my mother had a proud look on her face. It was my destiny to save the world, and she couldn’t have been any more proud to be my mother.

“What do I do? I’ve done as much training as I could, how do I learn to control my powers without any help?” I said quietly, fear and worry filling my mind as I looked at my family expectantly. The look on their faces told me that they knew something that I didn’t.

“You already have your help right in front of you. You know who it is, you may hate him for what he did to you but you have to let him in. He will be your greatest source of strength and your only weakness. Use your bond to your advantage, you are being given a mate for a reason, to protect you, to love you,” my mother replied, her lips twitching as a small formed on her lips, a look of determination in her brown eyes.

“But … why him? You knew he was going to reject me, so why did you choose him as my mate?” I countered, a small part of me angry at my mother.