30: I Won't be Silenced

Start from the beginning

Oscar waited for some kind of reaction from Hazel, but none came.

After a long pause, Ozpin went on. "'As long as this world turns, you shall walk its face.' That was the curse cast upon her. But if Salem can divide humanity beyond repair and bring all four Relics back together, she believes that maybe her curse would be broken. The gods would rule against us and destroy Remnant, once and for all."

"Nice story," Hazel said. "But if Gretchen's death taught me one thing, it was never to trust you."

"Please, let me," Oscar piped up.

But, Oscar-- Ozpin began.

"You want him to trust us? Then trust me." Oscar was sure he knew what to do suddenly.

They switched.

Hazel slowed.

Here went nothing...

"Her name is Jinn," Oscar said weakly. 

"Hmm?" Hazel said.

"You want her to come out of the Lamp? Just say her name. She can still answer one more question," Oscar said.

This felt right. Lying to Salem, it hadn't worked. Lying didn't work with her--she was too used to it.

Telling the truth, that was more what Oscar did...and even if this blew up in his face, he felt like it was the better approach.

Though Ozpin was dying on the inside--figuratively.

"After all that," Hazel said in anger, grabbing him, "you're just going to give Salem the password!?"

"No," Oscar said, somehow still calm... Honestly he just didn't have the energy to not be calm right now. "I'm giving you the password and hoping you'll find the truth for yourself."

Suddenly a phrase from that book Shine had given him came into his head.

"You shall know the truth," he said slowly. "And the truth shall set you free."

The very air in the room seemed to still.

Hazel let go slowly and got a new look in his eye.

* * *

Emerald waited for a reaction.

But Hazel made no answer, and she heard him coming towards the door.

She booked it.

* * *

Without Cinder available, Emerald had no one to tell this to except Mercury--and in all honesty, she knew, Cinder wouldn't care anyway. She wouldn't care what Ozpin said.

But Emerald had to bounce it off someone.

But...

"He's a prisoner, Em." Mercury wasn't receptive. "He'll say whatever he thinks will get him out."

"So, you're still going to Vacuo, after what I just told you?" she said. "I mean, even if there's the slightest chance it was true, don't you want to know that for sure?"

"Those are Salem's new orders, and I know better than to disobey Salem." Mercury finished packing his duffle.

"But--" Emerald protested.

"Look, even if what he said was true, we can't stop Salem," Mercury said, proving to her that he knew it was true. "You told me yourself--Hazel tried. He failed, and he got in line. Big guy's not gonna pick fights that he can't win. And neither should we."