Chapter 3

"Welcome to today's battle!!" Scarlet announced, a whole lot more gusto in her voice today. She hardly slept thinking about her new champion, she was going to have so much fun witnessing the violence he would unleash. So much so, that she had fights scheduled throughout the entire week. While she was getting Warrior ready for the fight, she made sure to personally give him a list of all the deaths she would like to see. Fire down the throat, stabbed one thousand times with his tail barb, rip out the opponent's claws and teeth, all of that and more. She just hoped he would deliver. "It is with great joy that I introduce my newest champion. You may remember this brutal face from yesterday's fight. When I saw his performance yesterday, I just had to bring him back. Back to bring glory to his name, thirsty for blood, it is with great joy that I welcome Warrior!!" The crowd went mad, cheering so loud she thought she would go deaf, yet she smiled, she couldn't remember the last time there was this much attention on a fighter. Warrior stepped into the arena, roaring back at the crowd, blowing fire into the air, exciting them all. Her heart began to race with anticipation. "And his opponent... It's a classic hot and cold battle. Let's just say that this battle will have a chilling ending, please welcome Flake of the Icewings!"

At the call of his name, two Skywing guards flew down, the Icewing close in between them. Letting him go, the Skywings flew away, leaving the two dragons in the ring.

Scarlet took a breath, surveying the two fighters in the arena, both watching each other, anticipating each other's opening attack. With that, she said the words she was so used to saying: "Claws up! Fire rea-"

"What on the three moons is going on here!?" The sound of an earthshaking roar made her, and presumably every dragon in the arena looked up, and in the sky above them was the queen's older, much boring champion, Peril.

"You! I thought I told you to stay in your room today!" Scarlet snarled at her daughter.

"And now I see why." Peril said, smoke rising from her nostrils, "You... You replaced me! How could you!"

"Oh hush, you'll have your time. Stop acting like a dragonet and go to your room." She said, rolling her eyes.

Peril growled, but turned around, "Fine then. I guess I'm not good enough... Just like you said."

Scarlet suddenly remembered an argument she had with Peril a few weeks prior...

"You... Why can't you just do more for me?!" Scarlet roared, "All I want is a good fight! Nothing more!! You just can't do anything, can you? You're not good enough for this kingdom!"

Peril gasped, as if she had just been stabbed in the heart, and flopped down to the ground, "H-How could you..."

Scarlet scowled and turned around, walking away. "Go cry, do whatever you do whenever I hurt your feelings. Maybe tomorrow you'll give a better performance for me."

It was a moment of anger, they both had those every once in a while. She was over it, why could Peril be? In the end, Scarlet did just want more entertaining fights from her.

"Goodbye, mother." Peril said, turning away to leave.

"Where are you going?! You're nothing without me!" She was tempted to go after her until she stopped. Oh well, the past is in the past. She's an adult, she can do what she wishes, after all, she had a new champion now. "Now then, as I was saying before I was RUDELY interrupted... Claws up... Fire Ready... Fight!!"

Like a bolt of lightning, Warrior shot out at the Icewing, grabbing him by the neck, rolling once, smashing his head against the ground as he slapped him down, pinning him down with no additional effort needed. The crowd cheered as he grabbed the Icewing by the throat, holding him tight, only to grip one of his horns, and with a little bit of effort, tear it clean off his head. The Icewing screaming in agony, the crowd's cheers drowning his cries. Warrior got up and tossed the broken horn at the audience, the spectating Skywings causing a ruckus trying to catch the trophy before one finally held it up victoriously. Scarlet grinned at the site, sitting down on her throne, watching the spectacle in great enjoyment. Warrior roared at the crowd again, unaware as the Icewing got up and leaped at him, clawing at him with serrated claws, Warrior roared as he was cut multiple times on his wings and back, falling to the ground. The Icewing pounced and landed on him, flipping him over, clawing at his belly. In a moment of panic, Warrior grabbed the Icewing's talon and violently pulled it out of its socket. The Icewing screamed, blowing frost breath at him. The deadly ice breath only grazed his shoulder as he realized what was going on. Warrior grabbed the Icewing by the neck, pulling it away from him, forcing him to breathe his ice at the walls of the arena, leaving him uninjured. Distracted, he had an opportunity. He kicked the Icewing ring in the belly, cerulean blood oozing from multiple wounds as he hit the ground hard, trying to get up. Yet now, the ice dragon seemed weaker, looking as if each breath was a challenge to get out. Warrior stood up, panting, a grin on his face, eyes locked onto the Icewing. That was when she noticed it, a peculiar mark on the Icewing. She's seen it before, but what was it? And then she remembered. She thought back to the struggle, suddenly realizing. Could he have stabbed him as he was pinned down? It had to be, otherwise why was the Icewing now suddenly so weak? In a few moments, he would die, Scarlet knew this all too well. Warrior walked up slowly to the Icewing, crouching down and hissing in his ear: