𝙴𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚃

Start from the beginning

I didn't want to talk about anything. It's that simple.

"Why are you here, Khalil?" I asked sharply, once I got to him. He looked quite relieved seeing my face and pulled me into a hug, kissing me on the forehead.

I eased into the hug and exhaled. This was exactly what I needed. It's been a stressful day.

"You weren't picking up my calls." He said flatly and took his seat by the driver's side, driving us out of the school compound.

I scoffed and tilted my head backwards, squinting my eyes at him. So, he drove from Whitburn university to Blue Cove because I wasn't picking up his calls?

"Not picking up your calls equals I don't want to talk, Olamilekan." I voiced out in irritation. My tone was hard and firm, enough to hint at the fact I wasn't having this conversation with him.

An eerie silence filled the car. I closed my eyes and leaned into the cold leather seat of his car. I was starting to fall asleep when he spoke up again.

"How are you though?" He inquired. His tone was soft. I was quiet for a moment before I finally managed to speak up.

"Fine," I answered reluctantly.

"Do you want us to head to my place or do you want us to go home?" He inquired and I shook my head.

"Home," I responded curtly.

"Niniola..." He trailed off. That was it. The last shred of self-control I was clinging on to, to prevent myself from snapping at him broke into two.

"Stop the car!" I bellowed harshly.

I heard him exhale as he increased the pace he was moving at. "Lekan, stop the MOTHER -FUCKING CAR!" I thundered and he stepped on the brakes abruptly.

Silence.

Long, unnerving silence.

The light-skinned boy stared back at me, utterly shocked like he didn't believe I just said that. I hissed through my teeth and tore my gaze off him.

"Do not raise your voice at me like that, Niniola. Ever again." He was struggling to keep his anger at bay. He was still in control but his voice was on edge.

I hated it whenever he got like this with me. I bit my quivering lips, reining my tears in.

"Niniola, if there's anything else I haven't done, just tell me already, because I don't understand why are you making this so hard for the both of us?" His voice was barely above a whisper yet, the pain in it couldn't go undetected.

"We are all trying so hard to be there for you. I am trying so hard to be there for you. To help you through this, but you aren't making it easy and frankly speaking, it's beginning to get so tiring. Nini, please!" He stated in a pleading tone.

He was tired. I didn't have to be told. I wasn't making this easy for him but then, a part of me resented him, no, I blamed him for Alvin and I's separation.

Maybe, if he wasn't so against me being with him, he'd still be with me. I'd still have him by my side.

He looked so exhausted. He was exhausted from putting up with my shit every damn time.

I just had to squint harder, the bags under his eyes became so pronounced that I couldn't bring myself to unsee them anymore. His shoulders slumped and he exhaled, pinching the bridge of his nose.

I scoffed out a small laugh, teary-eyed and turned to him, glaring at him in the process.

"Well, I don't want to talk about anything!" I snapped at him. The irritation I felt, there was nothing I could compare it with.