Talk About Family Problems

Start from the beginning

"How are you holding up?" Theorn asked, "I know you aren't really looking forward to leaving. Even before Aslin you didn't want to go."

"I did want to," I heaved a sigh, "Dran was right, I've gotten too attached to this place."

"Is that a bad thing?" His eyes bored into the side of my face, "You're allowed to have good things, Az."

"I thought it was a bad thing," I ignored his other comment and the frown that was etched into his face. "Now I'm not so sure."

"Isa keeps sending letters," Theorn said, changing the subject.

"That's nothing new," I rolled my eyes at that female's antics.

She cheated on me and yet still feels entitled to me. Her father was the one who had pushed for the engagement, only after he found out how close I was to Killian and who my father was. I had never liked the man, he had jumped at the chance to become duke as soon as he heard of my father's passing. Though his territory was not the entirety of my father's land, some had been taken back by the king.

"I also have a letter from the duke," Theorn said, glancing over at Aslin to make sure she still slept, "He wasn't happy to find out about your participation in the Garden."

"Oh?" I gritted my teeth together, that male was a fucking vulture, "Does he know I claimed Aslin?"

"Yes," Theorn clenched and unclenched his fists, clearly just as protective of Aslin as I was, "He said if you get rid of her before the ball he will convince Isa to forgive your actions the last time she visited you."

"Anything else?" I growled, pinching the bridge of my nose to try and defuse the ache building in my skull.

Theorn shrugged, "He basically kept repeating that you'll regret not claiming his daughter and..."

"And?" I asked, scowling at him.

"He said that your father would have wanted you to bond with a female like his daughter. Someone-"

I cut him off with a snarl, abruptly slamming my drink on the wooden table. Gritting my teeth together I walked over to Aslin, sitting down beside her and lifting her small body into my lap. Golden strands of hair fanned against my shirt and I buried my face into her hair.

"Az," Theorn called softly, "He is trying to guilt you into being with his daughter. He wants your bloodline and your connection to the king."

"I know," Even through my rage I managed to smile when Aslin's lips parted with a soft snore, "I couldn't leave her even if I wanted to."

"Did you...?" Theorn paused, a small smile creeping onto his face.

"It happened last night," I grinned, my heart swelling with love for the small female in my arms, a thin thread of gold appeared before slowly fading as if it had never been.

"Congratulations," Theorn smiled at me, his eyes flashing with an emotion I couldn't place before he started laughing, "Who would have thought that you of all people would be happily mated? I figured you'd have mate rot before you'd actually claim someone."

"I never thought I would be either," I muttered, staring down at my Aslin.

"You seem happy," Theorn commented, "It looks good on you."

"I am happy," Familiar guilt clawed at my gut and I took a deep breath, pushing down the useless feelings. "I just keep getting this feeling that it will all be taken away. That she will be taken away."

Theorn tensed, his brows drawing together as he leaned forward. "Azrael, what if you're right?"

"What do you mean?" I frowned, Theorn was supposed to be my voice of reason. "You think someone is going to take her away from me?"