Chapter Eighteen: You're the one for me

"Lauren," Camila breathed out. "Hi."

"Hi, Camila. We need to talk."

Those four little words were enough to send Camila into a panic. "We need to talk."

"This was it," Camila thought. Lauren came to the realisation that she wanted a divorce. She didn't want to keep trying to fix something that she never broke in the first place. Camila could understand that, or at least she could try to convince herself that she had understood why Lauren wanted a divorce.

"Okay..." Camila managed to let out, she stepped aside, allowing Lauren to take the lead.

Maggie showed her a thumbs up and mouthed a "Good luck."

Camila needed more than that.

***

They had made their way into Lauren's study. She placed her luggage to a corner of the room, after switching the lights on. Camila hadn't said anything on their way up. Her heart was beating widely against the confines of her chest. With each step that she took, she knew it only drew her closer to the end of her marriage.

"Camila?"

She snapped out of her thoughts, Lauren had an unreadable expression on her face.

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

Lauren nodded to an empty seat, "You can sit, you know?" Camila nodded and took a seat. "Do you want a drink?"

"No, it's okay," Camila replied, not wanting to rush Lauren into what it is that she had to say but her anxiety was off the charts. "What did you want to talk about?" She found herself asking and mentally scolding herself. Lauren had finally come to talk to her and she didn't want to pressure her wife but she needed to know whether or not she was going to end their marriage, or if she wanted to try.

Lauren exhaled heavily, her mind had been racing with thoughts on her way back home. She had so much to say but she wasn't sure if she knew exactly how to say it. However, she was positive that she wanted to. She had a lot of time to think and to be left alone with her thoughts that she wasn't conflicted ... or at least that conflicted as she was before.

She wanted Camila.

She wanted their children.

She wanted her family again, and she would do whatever it took to get them back.

"Before I begin, how have you been?" Lauren asked Camila, she was a bit taken aback by the question. Of course, her wife had always been loving and cared about her, but Lauren hadn't shown any sort of interest in her well-being in months.

"I'm...I'm okay," Camila said. "To be honest, I've been quite worried about whatever decision you would make while you were on your trip. I'm not sure I would like it." She admitted. "Would I...would I like it?"

"That's precisely what I wanted to talk to you about," Lauren began. "I know I have been physically here, but I've been mentally and emotionally absent from you and the girls, with good reason, or at least that's what I tell myself, but as I said, I had time to think." She paused. "During the time that I was away, I missed you. I missed the girls, and I realised that I want to try. I know I've said it before, and I've said this same thing before. I don't know if you'll even believe me but I do genuinely want to try. I don't want to lose this. I don't want to lose the life that we built together."

Shocking.

Camila was so sure that Lauren was going to tell her that she had finally made up her mind and that she wanted to get a divorce. She was so sure that Lauren would've realised that she was better off without her and their children.