The person who was really in control of the room, however, was Ian. When fighting would start, he'd let it go on, but add little comments here and there to raise the tempers in the room from a simmer to a boil. No one would ever direct their anger at him, he'd always made sure to angle everything he said so it would stick to another target. It was impressive, alarming, and infuriating, and I had no idea how he did it.

I would have intervened had it not seemed to also work a strange kind of magic over the room. Each time an argument would look like it was ready to boil over, he had the exact right thing to say that would defuse the situation. Sometimes it was a witty remark or a joke that would make everyone realize how unnecessary and silly their argument was. Other times, it would be a piece of resounding wisdom that seemed to come out of nowhere. Whatever skill it was that he possessed, I was jealous of it.

Every time I tried to reign everyone in, it was a long process of debating and reasoning. By the week's end, I found myself seeking Ian's help. It was unspoken but understood between us. I'd give him a look or a tap and he'd start managing the group's tempers. If Ian was ever bothered by my reliance on him, he never showed it. As usual, he hid most things behind his smile.

It was only on the morning of the eighth day in the room that not even Ian could keep the group in check. We were going through our supplies quickly and the arguing was so constant that I knew we'd have to risk venturing out even if there were still a good six inches of snow on the ground.

"We literally can't," Ray repeated himself for the fourth time in five minutes. "I'm not being over dramatic. The risk is just too big."

Prisha's lips pursed. "I never said you were being over dramatic. I just think that you're not seeing the bigger picture-"

"The bigger picture?" Ray looked at her, visibly offended. "Lighting a fire is just stupid-"

"Hey," Carlos cut him off. "No need to talk to her like that."

"But-"

"Guys, please." My scratchy throat was slowly recovering from my cold, but the group still had me somewhat quarantined to the corner.

"Prisha does make a good point, though," Paula said, finally stepping in. "We are getting low on water and it wouldn't be a bad idea to boil some snow while there is still a lot of it."

"But what about the smoke?" Ray asked, bringing up a valid point. "We all heard people yesterday-"

"Can't we just eat the snow?" Carlos cut in.

Paula sighed, giving her husband a look of affectionate exacerbation. "I told you a few days ago that eating snow can worsen dehydration. Remember?"

"Oh," he grumbled. "Right."

Paula gave him a sweet smile and patted his knee, before turning back to Ray. "At some point, we'll need to light a fire."

"Yeah, but-"

"Anyone got an ax?" Ian asked. He had been quiet since the last fight, so I was surprised to hear him speaking up. "Anyone? Ray? I think your crowbar could work." They all gave him looks of annoyance and confusion.

He rose from his spot on the floor to pat the nearest wall and then stood on his toes to knock on the ceiling with his knuckle. "Think we could make a chimney right here? Anyone got some dry wood? Kindling? I mean we could probably break down some furniture, but all the construction might get a little noisy. Also, does anyone actually know how to start a fire without matches? I mean, we can try, but we'll also need a way to contain the fire. Any suggestions?"

Prisha's sour look and Paula's somber one gave him the answer he needed, having not appreciated his sardonic display. He sat back down and leaned against the wall as he crossed his arms and closed his eyes. "And Ray's right – we have to keep in mind that there are people nearby. Anything we do other than sit here is risky."