𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔩𝔳𝔢

hope

storybrooke, maine

storybrooke, maine

– RHAENYRA WAITED OUTSIDE WHILE DAVID WENT IN TO SPEAK WITH GOLD. Her exact words had been: "if he speaks to me again, I'll likely torch him where he stands." she'd heard enough of his weasely, manipulative voice to last more than a lifetime. She envied people who'd never had to make a deal with him. The threat of her own deal with him still hung over her head, making her uneasy every time it crossed her mind. Debt was never a good thing, but to owe one to this man was beyond dangerous. It was a death trap, to say the least.

All there was to do when David reemerged, was follow the hat. With the potion from Gold carrying it, the ruined lump of material led them through the streets to the worrisome sight of an overturned car. As soon as it landed atop the vehicle, Rhaenyra could hear shouts from within. Rhaenyra tossed away a skid blocking in the door with surprising strength while David took care of a large metal barrel and set his sights on the door. After a moment, he managed to pull it open, revealing the man inside, who huffed in relief.

"Thank you. No one heard me."

"I can see that." Rhaenyra smiled, reaching down to help him back to his feet.

Jefferson blinked a few times, as if confused by what he saw. "Rhaenyra."

"In the flesh."

"Wait, you guys have met?" David looked a little lost.

"We've crossed paths before." Rhaenyra explained. "He was a great help to me in my efforts to find Rumplestiltskin back in the Enchanted Forest."

He shrugged. "You did far more for me."

She sighed, a sound that came out as an almost-laugh. "Why don't we sit down so we can talk?"

He eyed David somewhat warily for a second before giving in. "Yeah, why not? I've always got time to help out my favourite Dragon Princess."

Unfortunately, he didn't seem to know how. The hat was what contained all the magic, Jefferson only activated it. Now that there was no more magic within it, they couldn't open a portal either way. To his knowledge, anyway.

"Can you get it to work?"

Jefferson laughed. "If you only knew..."

"Okay, you had a little girl's tea set in your car and a stuffed rabbit toy, so I'm thinking you have a daughter you love. So do I. And a wife. And they're out there somewhere, in the Enchanted Forest or a void. I don't even know, but I'm going to get them back."

"They're in the Enchanted Forest, that's for sure. I just can't get there." He clarified.

Rhaenyra, despite her best efforts, latched onto his words like a lifeline. "The Enchanted Forest still exists."

"It exists." He sighed. "I don't know if that matters since we can't go there."

Charming pursed his lips. "So you won't help me?"

"I'm a portal jumper, and you've destroyed my portal, so you're out of luck."

"It's alright, Jefferson." She assured him quietly. "The forest exists, so they're alive. Even just knowing that... It makes a difference."

He nodded, but they were disturbed by Ruby's frantic arrival. "David! Rhaenyra!"

"What is it?" David worried.

"Regina has Henry. She's threatening everyone."

In an instant, Rhaenyra was on her feet. "She has him?"

"She showed up to the town meeting." She shot David an accusatory look. "The one you missed. Her magic is back and everyone is in a panic. They want to leave town."

"Fuck." the princess turned to offer Jefferson a quick, apologetic look. "I'm so sorry. We have to go."

"It's alright." He nodded. "Find your brother. I know what he means to you." He'd kept a close eye on his friends these past twenty eight years, and even cursed, he'd seen how she cared about the boy more than her own life.

°

While David hurried to the town line with Ruby, Rhaenyra made a beeline straight for her old house. She wanted her goddamn brother back. "Regina!" She slid from Drogon's back and made for the door, which swung open as soon as she ascended the porch steps.

"Rayne."

"Rhaenyra." she corrected harshly. "You know, kidnapping a child is rather bad form. You may think you're so strong, but you don't know the half of what it takes. You want to see real power? I will burn this house to the ground with my bare hands. Give. me. Henry." her eyes were cold. "Now."

"There's no need for threats." Regina replied, her voice quieter than usual. She stepped further back inside, and reluctantly, Rhaenyra followed. "Henry, come down!"

The boy came into view only a moment later, his eyes widening in relief when they settled on his sister. "Nyra!" he practically leapt down the rest of the stairs in his rush to throw himself at her in a tight embrace that she did not hesitate to return. Back by her side, he was safe no matter what.

Regina approached slowly, crouching down to look Henry in the eye, and though it was evidently hard for her to do so, she spoke. "Henry, you're gonna go home with Rhaenyra."

"Really?" His hope sounded so tentative, she wanted to cry.

"Really." She nodded. "I shouldn't have brought you here. I was... I don't know how to love very well." She admitted. "I wasn't capable of it for a very long time. But I know, I remember, that if you hold onto someone too hard, it doesn't make them love you. I'm sorry I lied to you. That I made you feel like I didn't know who you are. But I want you to be here because you want to be here. Not because I forced you, and not because of magic. Both of you." she looked up at Rhaenyra, who wasn't sure how to feel at the moment. "I want to redeem myself." She nodded up the stairs. "Go get your things."

As soon as Henry disappeared, Rhaenyra sucked in a breath. "Prove it." Regina stood, blinking at her. "Prove you want to redeem yourself. Does the Enchanted Forest really still exist?"

She swallowed hard before answering. "Yes. but I have no idea how to get back there." at the hopeful fire that sparked in Rhaenyra's eyes, she tilted her head. "Who are you trying to get back to? This can't just be about Emma and Mary Margaret."

The girl clenched her jaw, fighting back a million emotions that beat at the inside of her skull. "I've lost more than one family." she said quietly. "But there is only one I can hope to get back to."