Chapter 5 - Only Time Could Tell

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Clem. Are you friends with Serena?"

Clemont raised a blonde eyebrow, eyes still on his book, and turned a page. "Have been for a while now, yes. We see each other from time to time. She told me about your first day too."

Ash frowned. "She didn't think so highly of it, didn't she? Man, I'm terrible."

Clemont chuckled, placing the book down to look at his friend stressing over something he brought up. "Not at all. She said it went well. She already knew how you felt about dancing to begin with."

"Well, that's not so bad." Ash fought back the smile threatening to appear on his face.

"Have those opinions changed?"

"About dancing?" Ash asked, thinking back to the other day. Some part of him enjoyed doing it, but with her, that is. It was an unknown feeling. She made it a bit more enjoyable. He didn't hate it as much as it thought he would during their time. He only wonders how it would be by the end and how he would feel.

Time will tell.

The upper side of Clemont's lip lifted. "Or are you stuck in the middle?"

"It's not as bad as I thought. Not something I'd willing take up, but Serena helping out makes it enjoyable too," Ash explained without hesitation.

"That's a wonderful start." Clemont smiles brightly and adjusts himself in his seat. "Could I ask you a favor?"

Ash shrugs, curiosity laying on his features. "Sure, what's up?"

"I'm aware you don't know Serena well, or at all, and this punishment is the last thing you want to deal with," he says carefully, but there was also a hint of serious volume to it. "However, I know this would mean a lot to her, being a successful teacher, especially to one who doesn't have experience. You're like this already, but could you be willing to put your views aside and give dancing a chance."

Ash thinks for a moment, taking what had been said into consideration. Letting it sink in, he felt guilty for some reason. Him and Serena were total opposites. Their interests weren't what you would say, on par. Not only that, he hoped he wasn't going to give her a hard time throughout the lessons.

This could be his way of repaying her for taking the time to deal with him and his mess.

"I don't plan on giving up on it. Maybe dancing isn't my favorite thing of all time, but I'll do as you say," Ash says with a grin. "Serena is someone I'd rather have teach me this stuff than anyone else."

Clemont laughs at that. "Great to hear."

Ash then opened a bag of chips which had the librarian lady now putting a book back in one of the book shelves, shush him with that same glare. He had a feeling she didn't like him much.

With attitude and all, he's goes on whisper-yelling, "you're just as loud as me! Can't a guy eat in peace?"

Clemont tries to calm Ash — keyword: tries — and before the lady whose eyes look like her glare could cut glass, and in this case, it being her glasses lenses, he's able to say some things for the woman to believe that he means no harm.

"I apologize for all the ruckus, ma'am, and on his behalf as well. It won't happen again."

It, in-fact, happened again, and they were asked to leave for that day. Ash was fairly annoyed and Clemont was once again, trying to calm him down as they walked out.

"What's up that lady's ass!" Ash practically said aloud. "We get kicked out because I was simply eating? What the hell? Does she want me to starve? I should report her for attempted murder."

Sweat dropped from the side of Clemont's face as he laughed nervously. "I'm sure that isn't... necessary. There's always a next time. Besides, that must be a substitute for today because all the times I've been there, I've never seen her around before."

"The gods have answered my prayers," Ash breathed out in relief. "I think seeing or dealing with her would be the greater punishment I have compared to the actual ones."

Clemont patted his friend's back in pity. "I would be lying if I said I didn't agree."

It was going to be a long month.

The two laughed on their way out the building. They heard some more laughter and conversations that weren't their own close by. Looking to the side, they saw three girls making their way somewhere, but to Ash, only one of them caught his eye. Clemont had called her name and by the looks of it, she was surprised to see him too when she heard his voice.

Honey blonde hair, recognizable blue eyes, and a soft smile that was formed when she saw the raven haired boy. She waved at him and it was embarrassing how instantly he responded.

"I'll see you tomorrow, teach!"

One of the girls with dark blue hair beside Serena had elbowed her and said something that caused her to act, and the other with brown hair and a red bandana was laughing.

Serena put her attention back on Ash and decided to tease him. "Don't be late or get behind!"

Ash opened his mouth in shock at her successful effort to come for him about his time management. He shot her a determined nod and with that, her trio went to their own way. 

It wasn't long until Clemont spoke up. "You two seem to be getting along nicely! That's great to see."

"Yeah," Ash agreed. "She's fun and easy to talk to."

Clemont was then mumbling things and those rabbles of his wasn't unfamiliar to Ash, but he couldn't make out what he was saying. Something about someone — a guy being the one for her? Who's the guy and the girl? Dance partners? More than that?

"Did you say something?"

Clemont shook his head, fixing his glasses in his face. "Oh, it's nothing serious. I was just remembering a good part in the book I read from the library."

"If you say so." Ash was clearly unconvinced at that, but let it slide and decided to not think too deep into it. "Hey, what do you say we get something to eat? Man, I'm starving!"

"Sure, why not? I could do with some lunch now."

An idea came into Ash's head. "I'll race you there!"

"You know running isn't my speciality!"

"Dancing isn't mine and yet I'm doing it!"

"You have to!" Clemont pointed out. "That's different!"

Ash was already on his way down, jogging. "It's the same difference. Hurry before we lose the good food!"

Clemont sighed and began jogging after his friend, hoping the food would make up for this. He threw his complaints to the side as well as the thoughts he had before that. There's nothing science couldn't prove and in this case, chemistry is the main deal.

Only time could tell.