CHAPTER NINE

SLAY BALL

SLAY BALL

DRINK in hand, Fly sat on the coffee table as Darren carefully carved out her meticulously drawn on eyeliner with concealer as Amerie poured herself another drink from the sofa, trying to drown away her Malakai shaped sorrows

DRINK in hand, Fly sat on the coffee table as Darren carefully carved out her meticulously drawn on eyeliner with concealer as Amerie poured herself another drink from the sofa, trying to drown away her Malakai shaped sorrows. Quinni's nose was buried in her phone beside her as she texted Sasha who was yet to show and Fly had a sinking suspicion that her friend would stand her up in favour of Missy.

It was only as Fly watched Darren work did she notice the beaded bracelet around their wrist and her heart clenched as she glanced to the one wrapped around her own, running her fingers over it before reaching up to do the same with Darren's. The Rivers teen paused, lowering the concealer brush as they looked down at her unsurely until Fly gave them a sad smile "Moth gave me the same one." She met their eye "Was he happy? When he was with you?"

"I think so. I hope so." Their breath shuddered, a lump forming in their throat "But then he-- and I wondered if..."

"It wasn't your fault." Fly assured, her own voice shaky as she grabbed their hand in hers.

Darren's dark eyes welled with tears "Why did he do it?"

"I don't know." She whispered and Amerie reached forward to wrap her arms around the girl from behind, resting her chin on her shoulder as she squeezed.

Darren took a deep breath before wafting their hands in front of Fly's tear filled eyes "Okay, no tears because you'll ruin all the work I've done and you look so hot I almost wish is wasn't into dick."

She let out a watery chuckle, getting to her feet to admire their handiwork in the mirror as Amerie smiled and sat back on the sofa. Darren's makeup was minimal sans for the bold eyeliner, dark and definitive around her eyes leaving her outfit to do all the talking. Her reflective  print, backless bandana-hem halter top was tied at the back pair with a latex, black leather skirt, laced up at the sides with a zip holding it together at the back. With a smile, Fly took a sip from her glass as her eyes roamed around Darren's living-room, spotting a framed photo of a man and picked it up before turning to the River's teen "Hey, is this your dad?"