42

I began thinking that night, about Jake and when he's all grown up. I was just lying there, on my side, thinking. Bryan wrapped his arms around my waist and I flinched a little. I rested my head on the pillow and fell asleep.

Tuesday Morning : 5:54 AM.

"Babe, babe, wake up!" Bryan said, shaking my arm. He was dressed for work already. "Finally, you're awake. I got called into work early. They need me to substitute a math class for a bit. Love you. Jake isn't awake yet. You can go back to sleep now."

"You know you could've just left a note, right?" I groaned, rolling over.

"I know, but I wanted to hear that sexy tone from the minute you wake up." he kissed my cheek, winked, and walked out of the house.

Just as I closed my eyes again, I heard Jake. He was laughing.

"What the...?" I walked to his room and opened the door.

"Jake, what are you doing?" I laughed.

"Playing with your toys? Go back to sleep sweetie." I kissed his cheek and he still played with his toys.

I was walking out and he threw a toy on the floor outside his crib.

"Jake, what are you doing?" I whined.

He giggled.

"Jake, don't throw things, please." I handed him his toy and walked out. I heard a toy hit the door.

"Jake!" I didn't mean to scream, but I did.

He started crying. I immediately went over to him and picked him up out of his crib. I kept apologizing for yelling at him. He stopped crying and I brought him into my bedroom.

"This is Mommy and Daddy's room. You've been in here before. I was thinking you could sleep in here while Mommy takes a shower." I laid him on the bed and closed the bathroom door. I started the water and Jake started crying.

"Sh. Mommy's right in here. Nothing's gonna happen to you." Jake stopped crying and I continued my shower.

When I got out, Jake was hiding under the blanket. I got dressed and decided to play with him.

"Uh oh, where's Jake? Where'd Jake go?" I threw the blanket away from him and he giggled.

"There you are!" I picked him up and walked downstairs.

I grabbed a bowl, a spoon, a baby spoon, a bottle, milk and some baby food. I scooped the baby food into the bowl and put the baby spoon in it. The doorbell rang. I ran the bowl over to the couch and checked on Jake. Still in his playpen. I ran to the door and opened it.

"Hey girl!" Annabelle said.

"Hi, how do you know where I live?"

"I saw Bryan pull out of the driveway and I was in the neighborhood. Let's go for breakfast."

"I can't. I'm feeding Jake, come in."

"I don't see Jake."

"He's in his playpen by the couch. Can you watch him for a moment, I have to make his milk."

"You breastfeed?"

"Of course not!"

Annabelle sat on the couch and I prepared Jake's milk. I sat on the couch, put the milk on the table and lifted Jake into my arms. I put the bowl on the couch and made a little spoonful. I put it to Jake and he opened his mouth and ate it. When he finished his food, I wiped the food from the corner of his mouth and then grabbed the bottle. Annabelle snatched it when I went for it.

"I want to feed him."

"Well, you can't. Jake doesn't do well with strangers. Can I have the bottle back, please?"

"Why haven't you answered my texts?"

"You've texted me?"

"I've been texting you! Trying to make plans! Never got a response!"

"I'm sorry Annabelle, my phone isn't a big priority to me anymore. My son is."

"Well, you could still find some time to at least read the texts."

"Can I just have the bottle?"

"Fine."

"Thank you. Where are you going?"

"Upstairs, I want to see his room again."

"Please leave."

"What?"

"You heard me, leave. NOW."

"No, in fact, I think I'll stay and help you with Jake. He seems like such a fuss."

"He's an easy baby, I don't need help from anyone."

"Are you sure? I think he's going to be quite challenging."

"Leave. I'm not going to tell you again." I stood up and held on tightly to Jake while he drank from his bottle. I walked around the couch, avoiding Annabelle. I saw her walking behind me, I opened the front door and waited for her to walk out. I slammed it and locked it all up, as fast as I could. I walked upstairs and closed the window in our bedroom and locked it. I went back downstairs and did the same for the screen doors. I closed the blinds, locked the doors and closed the curtains. I just wanted Jake to be safe. Nothing else matters.

When Bryan got home, he asked me why everything was locked and sealed up so I explained to him all that happened when Annabelle found out where we lived.