17

But something stopped me. Bryan looked up at me and I told him to be quiet. I thought I heard someone knock and I did. I untied Bryan. We cleaned up his room and threw my things in my duffel bag. While I was getting in his closet, Bryan was getting dressed. You never know who's knocking, but I had a good feeling I knew who it was. I knew it was my mom.

"Who is it?" Bryan called.

"It's Sandra." Bryan unlocked his door and told her to come in. Bryan was only in his boxers.

"Why are you only in boxers?" Sandra asked.

"I was taking a nap. I have work later."

"Well, I stopped by Lucy's, Rebecca wasn't there, she hasn't been there, so I came to see if she was here." Sandra was looking around the house, then she made her way up the stairs to Bryan's room.

"She's not here, Sandra." Bryan said.

"Never hurts to look."

"Maybe she went to the mall?"

"No, I don't think so. What is this?" Sandra picked up a condom, the one that they had lost last night.

"Uh, that is a wrapper."

"I know what it is. I meant, why is it here? You're dating my daughter, you are sexually active with her, aren't you?"

"Yes." Bryan said, guiltily, scratching his neck anxiously.

"Where is she, Bryan?" I opened the closet door, forgetting I was only in his robe.

"Hey, mom." I said, guilt lacing my tone.

"Is that your duffel bag?"

"Yes." I swallowed, again hard.

"Grab it, get dressed and let's go. You have a lot of explaining to do."

"But mom, I-"

"I don't want to hear it, move!" she interrupted.

"Okay." I said. I felt so guilty and so upset.

"Bryan, let's talk in your kitchen." My mom said.

"Okay, Sandra. I'll make some tea." My mom and Bryan went into the kitchen and I got dressed.

When I came down, they were arguing.

"SHE'S MY DAUGHTER!"

"SHE'S MY FEMALE!"

"STOP CLASSIFYING HER AS SUCH A TERM! WHAT DOES IT EVEN MEAN?"

"Mom, I'll explain it to you, but not here, not now. Just get in the car, I'll be down in a minute." I cut in.

"Okay sweetie." After she left, I went to Bryan.

"I have to tell her. I have to." I kissed him on the lips, sweetly.

"I know you do. She won't understand."

"I'll make her."

"How?"

"I won't stop telling her until she believes me."

"You sure it'll work?"

"I know it will. I left my stuff. I may be back." I winked and kissed his neck, and left.

The car ride home with my mom was quiet.