Chapter 54: The Meeting

Start from the beginning

Several days of staying at the capital with the good-natured people around, especially Laura, who was a bubbly and open-minded person to begin with, they all grew closer.

And whenever Laura thought about what happened back then when Princess Avaria visited, she was still in awe of how Atallie was able to lie to Her Royal Highness without even batting an eye.

And yes, it was in fact, a lie.

Atallie lied about the room.

It was not the duke who changed the name of the rooms or whatever arrangement happened.

It was Atallie who decided to change the name of the famous and highly regarded Golden Velvet Room of the former duke and the duchess to Golden Rose Room.

She clearly knew that the room was like a sacred place that could not be defiled by just anyone, especially the royals.

Thus, with her full authority as the duchess and with the clear instructions of the duke to his subordinates to serve and obey the duchess, Atallie was able to come up with all the nonsense before the princess arrived at the drawing room.

And she lied without any hesitation at that.

Laura, on the other hand, was both bewildered and shocked at that time. But she was rather in a tight spot when it happened. Thus, she could only let Atallie weave whatever story and lie she wanted to create while she could only agree to all of it.

Atallie took the envelope and opened it.

A familiar parchment design was on the inside.

It was a bloodied letter.

And there were only three lines of words written in it.

Leave tonight.
I will meet you halfway near the closest creek.
Let us go home to Kargaz.

Though it was a bloodied letter, and it couldn't be more plain, Atallie's heart could not contain its loud beating upon reading the contents of it.

Home…

Us going…home…

Her usually cold and blank impression seemed brighter than before, even her tone she could not contain.

She turned to Laura who was still panting and said, "Hurry! Pack my luggage and call for everyone. We will be leaving tonight. The duke will meet us on the road."

"What?" Laura was dumbfounded.

"Wait, what? His Grace is on his way to meet Madame? And tonight at that?!"

"Yes, it is what the letter says."

"Oh my! We gotta prepare now! Oh no, no time for that. Aye! I'll call them now!" And with that Laura dashed out from the room leaving Atallie speechless.

I guess Laura is more excited than I.

And soon enough, everyone was able to efficiently prepare everything for the abrupt setting off of the duchess.

Atallie, together with Lizbeth, Lila and several knights, the original group of Atallie's company and a few additional knights from the duke's estate at the capital, boarded the carriage and horses in the middle of the night as they traverse through the capital towards the Cavana Waters - the nearest creek that could be found in the outermost part of the Royal City.

Looking out from the window, Atallie's eyes were gazing at the dark, moonless skies.

There was a different glow in her amber eyes - sharp and cold and something else.