Chapter 20: A Visit

Days had passed since the incident with the duchess the duke's favorite woman.

Things were working as usual with the duke's territory and sovereignty in Kargaz of the North.

However, things in the duke's estate were not as peaceful and as usual, compared to his stable and continuously thriving territory.

The duchess seemed to be unable to get better from her illness.

Atallie, who was now sipping on her favorite tea with her favorite tea sets and favorite books to keep her company, was as calm as the undisturbed sea. However, it was evident on her face and pale appearance which was getting worse, that her condition was not getting any better.

Every servant working in the main mansion was on tenterhooks because of the duchess' condition.

How much more it could be for Leonor and the duchess' maidservants assigned by the duke?

Leonor, together with Greta, Reza, Gina, and Lila, has long lost their calm and peace. But as they continuously watched and observed how serene and unperturbed the duchess was amidst the chaos around, they could not help but sigh in fear and disbelief.

What was wrong with the duchess?
Was what they had been constantly thinking about.

Leonor and Estian, the butler, were left to strictly and sharply handle the estate's affairs in the absence of the duke. For some reason, the duke left a few days later right after dealing with Janette about her scrabble with the duchess.

But today, the two loyal family servants were informed that the duke will be returning the next day. Thus, both had finally heaved a sigh of relief.

Terry, the personal and trusted physician of the duke, could not do anything more but to prescribe healthy but bitter tonics to nourish the duchess. He had been carefully mixing and concocting these tonics every single day. If he was not catching a wink, he will either check the duchess' condition or lock himself inside the medicine room to tirelessly concoct the tonics.

However, unknown to everyone, and much to disappoint or could even make Terry cry was that the duchess had never once drunk a drop of those carefully concocted bitter tonics.

When Terry could only do that much. And it was strictly prohibited to leak any news of the condition of the duchess to outsiders, Leonor and Estian could only wait for the return of the duke and his wizard Sebas.

If the physician was helpless, the wizard could be the only one to resolve the problem with the help of magic.

Thus, Leonor, Estian, Terry, and the duchess' maidservants could only hope that the two gentlemen could return as soon as possible and as early as the break of the dawn.

But now, Leonor has to ha duke today's affairs as usual despite the current situation in the estate.

"Madame, a letter from the count has arrived," Leonor spoke with a golden tray in her hands and an envelope on it.

"Another one?" Atallie's eyes swept over it as she asked.

"Yes, Madame. I'm afraid that the count would probably appear one day unannounced at the estate if you will continue to pay no heed to his letters," said Leonor.

"Mm, you're right," Atallie out down her cup and gently wipe her pale but still flawless and glossy lips with a silk handkerchief.

"Would you like to look at it now or you prefer to check it later?"

"Leave it there. I'll check it later."

"I understand, Madame." Leonor put down the letter on the duchess' study table.