Chapter 12: The Friend

When they arrived at the estate, Leonor accompanied Atallie back to her room and excused herself immediately after. Atallie changed into a new dress inside her room with the help of her personal maidservants.

Meanwhile, Lila brought the man towards the duchess' drawing room before she went back to her room as well to change clothes.

After several minutes, the door of the drawing room was opened then came in the duchess.

The man sitting inside stood up immediately upon seeing the duchess arrived.

"Greetings, Your Grace. Honored to be here," the man said as he slightly bowed down.

"You may take a seat," Atallie said with her usual calm and indifference. Lila went in with freshly brewed tea and left quietly after setting everything down.

Only the duchess Atallie and the man were left inside.

After Lila closed the door, the man suddenly raised his hand and made a gesture. What came after was extraordinary and magical.

Blue translucent walls came out of nowhere and surrounded the entire room.

"Must you really do that?" Atallie asked. This time, though her tone is still flat, it was not devoid of any emotions. Her eyes were not as cold as it always been as well.

"You don't have to worry, I checked and no one will find out," the man answered with his gentle demeanor but his expression was as indifferent as to the usual expression of Atallie.

"Why are you here?" Atallie asked as was about to pour herself a cup of tea but before she could even touch the pot, the man was quick to pick it up and pour a cup for Atallie.

"Must you really ask that?" The man asked. It was the same manner as how Atallie asked him a while ago. Atallie's eyebrow rose upon hearing it.

"Del, you know that this matter –"

"I know. I just wanted to see you. That's all I'm asking of you. Just let me stay behind you. Just like as always..." The man answered unhurried and his stone sounded so melancholic.

Silence engulfed the room and both the duchess and the man just quietly stared into each other's eyes. Both have a tacit understanding of the meaning behind what has been said.

After just a few minutes, duchess Atallie broke the silence.

"If you're looking so down like a lost puppy, how am I supposed to send you back?" she said with a sneer.

"Tallie..." the man across the duchess out an even more dejected look.

"Enough. You've already earned my permission,"

"I know Tallie won't be able to leave me behind!" His dejected look was gone in a blink and was replaced by a gentle sweet smile.

Seeing the familiar smile from the man, Atallie ignored him and picked up the cup of tea, and took a few sips before putting it down.

The man named Del, Atallie's friend, has ordinary brown hair and brown eyes but his pleasant facial features and strong built cannot be left unnoticed. And most importantly, Del was a Wizard. Which explained the sudden appearance of blue translucent walls around the room that could block any sound from the inside to come out. He had done this to make sure that no one would be able to eavesdrop on the conversation between him and the duchess.

Del, upon seeing the almost empty cup of Atallie, quickly filled it with tea once again.

"Del, you know that this matter is out of my hand," Atallie began once again. This time, Del didn't interrupt her. Seeing this, Atallie continued.