Chapter 43: Night Accommodation

In just a blink of an eye, the tea party ended before everyone could enjoy it.

No one really enjoyed the afternoon tea - except, of course, Atallie herself, and Duke Calex, although he had to leave first due to some business matters.

Everyone left with a heavy heart and a troubled mind, particularly Lady Janette Terav.

Inside the chamber of Lady Janette.

“My lady! I can’t believe that vixen managed to get her hands on His Grace! That can’t be! You are supposed to get that authority - you are supposed to be the duchess!” Tae, the most trusted maidservant of Janette said. Her face was red from anger and she was literally puffing and huffing in rage.

Janette remained still and silent. Just like everyone else, she could not believe that the authority of the duchess had been given just like that.

All of them knew that being under the duke, they were all being kept like pawns and birds inside a cage, and even though they were willing to be captive by the duke, and instead of spying against him, they were all willing to support him and be his allies, and yet - everyone was also aware that inside their heart, there was only the duke that they kept on yearning.

They were clear, from the very start, that although it was but a dream, each wanted to bear that authority right next to the duke himself - to be the duchess. After all, no one knows what the future holds.

And yet, it looked like this statement backfired on them.

They were all caught off guard.

At first, they believed that the sudden appearance of a duchess was none other than another scheme of His Majesty The King, that she was just another pawn - just like the rest of them.

But lo and behold, who would have thought that in just a few months of her stay, the new duchess would be given her official authority.

Who could have guessed what had gotten into the duke himself to bestow the official authority to none other than the new pawn of the opposing party?

It was unbelievable.

But they kept having doubts that it could just be the plan of the duke. However, one could not tell whether it was the truth or not.

Thus, they could only directly ask the duke about this matter.

And that was what Lady Janette ought to do as well.

“My lady! We cannot allow this to happen! That vixen was trying to get things away from you - she was trying to get the duke for herself!” The maidservant kept on puffing but she realized that her lady remained quiet. Hence, she decided to slightly shake her lady awake.

“My lady!” Tae exclaimed. She didn’t have any choice but to wake her lady up. After all, she knew how far her lady would go just to please and assist the duke. Yet, if the duchess would remain getting a strong foothold at the estate, it would be impossible for her lady to get the right place for her. And this would also affect her own future.

Tae cared for Lady Janette, but just like the rest of the maidservants, she also had an ambition of her own.

If my lady won’t be the duchess, who could she be? Where could we go after this? This won’t do! I have to push her to reach for her original goal - and that is to become the beloved duchess of His Grace!

“Come on, my lady! You have to do something about this!” Tae kept on speaking, urging Lady Janette to get up from her dazed seating position.

“If my lady won’t do something about it, the duchess will steal the duke away from you!”